Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Re-soldering on the back of the pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I just got a pair of pickups to put in my Pbass. well I accidentally broke one of the wires off the back of one of the pickups....is it bad to resolder the connection on the back of the pickup or is it not gonna hurt anything?

also the wires aren't quite long enough, how would you personally go about making them longer? replace the whole wires, add to the existing wire?

Thanks

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    How good are you at soldering and how hot is your iron? It would be best to replace the wires (assuming non-vintage pickups), but to do this safely takes a very hot iron so you only have to touch the terminals on the pickup very briefly to make a good connection. Otherwise the coil wires could come loose or you could melt the wax in the coils.

When in doubt, take to a tech. It's not rocket science, but it has to be done right the first time, and it has to be done quickly.

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I noticed that you are from Memphis, is there anyone in town you could recommend me taking it to?

the only shops in Memphis I'm familiar with are Taylor's and Strings and Things.

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    There are techs at Strings n Things, Memphis Guitar and Amp Works (used to be Tommy's on Madison across from Hueys), Music World on Summer, and at Martin Music on Germantown Parkway. Of those, I would recommend Memphis Guitar and Amp Works because they'd have the fastest turn around time (maybe while you wait). TK at Strings and the guy at Martin Music are both very good but there is usually a week or so turn around time.

If for whatever reason none of them can do it for you, PM me and I'll show you how. I'm in Midtown.