Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Re-speaker an Ampeg V-9 cab??!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sweaterboy77, Feb 3, 2005.

1. sweaterboy77

sweaterboy77

Feb 3, 2005
    HELP!!! I need some help on this one. Here's my situation. I recently scored a deal and bought an old Ampeg V-9 cab for virtually nothing... here's the catch; NO SPEAKERS! I have to re-speaker this thing. I called up Ampeg, they said that this cab origally used 5.3ohm speakers and was a 300W cab. He then proceeded to tell me "good luck finding speakers." It was suggested I put the speakers that Ampeg uses in their 8x10's in this thing, plain Eminence of some type... Kappa series maybe? Only problem, that equates to 900 WATTS of pure madness!!! I can get a deal on the Kappa line of speakers (about $28 each), but, I would rather find some nice 25-50 Watt speakers to bring down the overall wattage of the cab to around 300-500 Watts. Part of this reason, besides the fact that I don't play overly large clubs (100 people max), is that the heads I use are either a GK 800RB (300W into 4ohm) or an old Ampeg V4 (not V4B, and with the tubes in it, I think they're 6550's, its about 120W). This head is my guitar players head (set up for bass), the GK is mine, so I'd like to set up the 9x10 cab for use with the GK, but with the idea that I will probably buy my own V4 head in the future (that V4 sounds so good with it's older, larger Ampeg 4x12 cab with Kappa series Eminence in it). If it helps at all, I play mostly Rickenbacker 4001's, and have recently taken to my Fender P-bass with Seymore Duncan Q-Pounder + TBX Control pot.

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT SPEAKER SO THROW IN THIS CABINET???

Please Help.... thanks!

2. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I'd set it up like an 8x10 - get 8 32 ohm SVT drivers from fliptops.com and wire them all in parallel for 4 ohms. Then plug the extra speaker hole and ports. But that's just me.

Why are you worried about having a cab that can handle 900 watts versus 300 watts? More power handling is usually a GOOD thing!

3. Just because the cab would be rated at 900Watts after you put the eminence speakers in doesn't mean that you have to run that much power into them.l
    You would be fine running that cab with an 800RB as long as you don't push the amp into clipping. If you do you could risk damaging the speakers.

if you use 4Ohm drivers set up in 3 groups of speakers wired in series so that each group of 3 has an impedence of 12Ohms then wire the 3 groups in parallel you would have a total cab impedence of 4 Ohms

4. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Good call, I didn't think of that.

5. bass4820

bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    texas
    yes it might be a better choice to put some lower powered speakers in the cabinet if your running a low power tube amp.

having larger power handling speakers might mean more weight, unless your going with some neo. magnet speakers. :)

no need to have a heavier cabinet, when you don't need to.

sometimes(not all the time), i wish my 250pound svt810av in a roadcase was a little lighter :bawl:

6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Eminence makes SVT replacement speakers branded Electro Harmonix SVT speakers. They are 32 ohm. If you wired them all in parallel it would be 3.555555 ohms (close enough to 4) for any amp output of 4 ohms. I DO NOT know if they work in a ported cab(V-9), but they work great in a sealed cab.The 800 RB should sound killer with that. Also, you could use a higher power head later if you wanted. If I remember right, the V-9 was designed for guitar along with the 300 watt SVT V-9 head. Psycho Bass Player has a V-9.

7. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Keep in mind the fact that the DCR of the speaker will be affected by the cabinet it's loaded into...

DCR is not the same as impedance. Impedance is an AC vector (varies with frequency, too)

8. sweaterboy77

sweaterboy77

Feb 3, 2005
    So, i think what i'll do is get 9 of the Eminence Alpha-10A series speakers, hopefully they make them in a 4-Ohm version, and then set up 3 groups of 3 speakers, wired in series so that each group of 3 has an impedence of 12-Ohms, then wire the 3 groups in parallel so I have a total cab impedence of 4 Ohms... just the way OneWayPunk suggested. The specs on the Alpha series are 45Hz-5kHz & 150 Watts RMS, Thus making a cab rated at 1350 Watts maximum handling power (quite insane), and I figure the 10" speakers will give me the highs and mids that my Rickenbacker is so good at, and the fact that the cab has 3 seperate speaker "chambers," each containing good padding/baffling and a bass port (psuedo diagram below), it should provide some sweet lows as well for both the Rick and my P-Bass. Thoughts anyone? Is a cab rated this high in wattage, but only being driven by 120 tube watts to 300 solid state watts okay? That's not asking too much of my amps?

Thanks everyone for the replies!!!

-Tim

==============================
    = === =
    = === ====== === =
    = ====== ====== ====== =
    = ====== === ====== =
    = === == === =
    = == =
    = === =
    = === ====== === =
    = ====== ====== ====== =
    = ====== === ====== =
    = === == === =
    = == =
    = === =
    = === ====== === =
    = ====== ====== ====== =
    = ====== === ====== =
    = === == === =
    = == =

9. sweaterboy77

sweaterboy77

Feb 3, 2005
    looks like my speaker diagram didn't work out so well when posting... DAMN IT! It took me like a half hour to do that!!!

10. sweaterboy77

sweaterboy77

Feb 3, 2005
    What is DCR? I've never heard this term.

11. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    DCR is Direct Current Resistance. It's a basic electrical property of a driver. There are others here who are much more knowledgeable then I, and hopefully they'll chime in if I miss the mark...

Impedance takes into account the physical environment of that driver. The cabinet loading of any particular driver will have a major effect on the driver's behavior. It will even have an affect on the driver's electrical properties (the complexities of which are many...)