Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Re-speaker old cabs or buy new?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 76Tbird, Mar 9, 2005.

1. 76Tbird

76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    Ive come upon a dilemma...i own these 2 Acoustic Control bass cabs, early 70's era. one 2x15 and one 4x12. I have played with these things my whole bass career and i love the sound. A Lot. But, alas, one of the 12's bit the dust at my last show, meaning the other 3 will blow soon.

There is no way i can find the exact same speakers and i dont have the time to get all of the 12's rebuilt. Ive been looking at the Eminence DeltaPro 12a's to refill the cab. This comes to roughly $510 or so. But i can pick up the Behringer 4x10 and a 1x15 aluminum-speaker cabs for about $550 total. But that would mean i ditch my Acoustic cabs. What would you guys do?

2. I'd tough it out and just use the 2x15 cab while my 12's were being rebuilt.

3. 76Tbird

76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    I thought of that too but i have a large show coming up in less than a month and it will take 6 weeks or more to get those origional Eminence 12s redone

4. If you like your sound it is well worth the six weeks wait to get it done right. Do what you have to do to get by till then.

Just imagine six months from now. You could have what you want or you could be kicking yourself saying "If I only waited six lousy weeks!"

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    first I would never consider the 'cheap cabs' you listed... go Avatar at least.

second, I would shoot an email to Ted Weber @ http://www.webersvt.com and run what you got / what you need past him.

I'd most likely reload the cab with a few Weber Ceramic Michigan 12

:bassist:

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    With the exception of JBL, EV, Altec and Gauss, drivers of that era were primitive by today's standards, so I wouldn't try to duplicate them. It's likely impossible anyway. Download the WinISD freeware program, use its driver base to predict response with todays drivers using the dimensions of your cab and then choose what works best but don't expect it to sound exactly the same. It's not likely original drivers were anywhere near the quality of Delta Pros. Chances are you can get what you need for far less money.

7. Hi, I sent you a private message. Contact Dave at Avatar before buying Eminence drivers.

Mag...

8. 76Tbird

76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003

Thanks for the replies everyone. I believe what i'm going to do is get either the DeltaPros or the Webers and then have the origional units rebuilt.

The stock units are kinda funny looking...they have little screen vents on the dustcaps with square magnets, and the top two are slightly different from the bottom two, almost like the top ones are more high-end response and the bottom are for low-end. Hopefully my local speaker rebuilder knows what to do with them.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Those square magnet drivers were common then, seen in everything from Ampegs to Leslies, and they were not particularly good compared to the JBLs or Altecs of the day. Even Delta 12 LFs would likely be a major upgrade. A recone is probably not worth the expense when an equal expenditure would buy better modern drivers.