1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RE: Strap Locks... got a favorite??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scottice, Dec 9, 2006.

1. I'd like to get some strap locks for my two new basses and would like some suggestions as to the pros and cons of the kinds available.

Schaller, Fender, Dunlop?
    Are the Schaller and Fender the same?

Do they all require new screws? I don't want to screw anything up with new fasteners.

For the record I have a 1972 Fender Musicmaster and a Ibanez SR900.

Thanks in advance.

2. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I use the Dunlop's...love them the best, I trust them.
    On both my basses I was able to use the original screws.

They are available in silver / gold / black (fav.)

Push button design makes them sleeker than the ones with the pull-out knob.

Hope this helps

3. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    The Fender pieces I buy have Schaller stamped on them, so I am confident that they are the same. They are definitely interchangeable, and they are usually (always for me) less money.
    They come with screws, and I generally use the new screws - I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the original screws won't quite fit inside the hole at the head of the screw. All my guitars and most basses are Fenders - other brands may be different.

4. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I've had the best luck with Schallers which have never let me down. I did have one of the Dunlop push button ones come apart on me though.

George

5. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I like Schallers.

I haven't messed with them a ton, from what I've seen they use the same size screw as the original Fender strap buttons. The thing I like most is that I bought one set a couple years ago and now have three sets since I've bought or traded for basses that happened to have them on. I guess there are a lot more Shallers out there than the others which is nice for convenience and availability, and they seem to work fine.

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Absolutely Schallers for me. I've had two sets of Dunlops fall apart on me and that's when I switched. I was pretty hard on them and that's probably why the disintegrated.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Never had a Dunlop fail. Much easier to use than Schallers IMO. YMMV.

8. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    +1. They don't look stupid like the Schallers, either.

9. Thanks all... looks like it's a personal preference and that both types work fine. I'll head to the store and decide which looks best I guess.

10. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Used the leather ones for years in the 70's and 80's but now have gone to all Dunlops. They get JB Welded into "budget basses" as I've had one come out of an Epi T-Bird body(rear strap button location).
    TBStrapMounts.

11. steve21

steve21 Banned

I like Dunlops the best. I think I'll ask my parents for a set for Xmas... along with some strings.

12. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

you know where to send them! ;)

i've used the schallers, and they rock. very strong.

right now i use these things called "RS: The Ultimate Straplock" which doesn't require any screwing or unscrewing of original parts. you put the strap on the bass, and you slip this round plastic disc over the exposed part of the strap-button. i trust it.

13. i like the schallers.

14. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Sounds interesting. I tried a google search on that but didn't turn up anything that looked like what you're talking about. Got a link for the RS?

15. I use schallers

Or, the plastic dunlop ones that you put on and twist around, no modification needed to the bass, and as reliable as any other straplock!

[​IMG]
    ^ those things

16. Dunlop make them too, see my post ;)

"Lok Straps"