1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Re-stringing Lefty StingRay to Righty?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkMetalBass, Apr 23, 2009.

1. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I've been offered a StingRay from a guy (appears to be in great condition, black body, black pickguard, maple fretboard) for $500.

Problem is, it's a lefty.

Now, I could flip the nut around, do some set-up work, and re-string it righty, but do you think the knobs would get in the way? I play with all different techniques, but mostly with my fingers.

Could I maybe install knobs like I've seen on guitar pedals that are recessed until you pull them out? (ie, Ibanez PH7)

Help & Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, TB!

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Geez, sounds like another decent lefty bass is about to bite the dust......:crying:

3. blackconstant

blackconstant

Sep 15, 2008
    wow thatd be cool although i dunno if the body is deep enough to have space for the knobs to sink in like the ph7

4. Here's what I would do;

1. Buy lefty stingray for $500
    2. Sell lefty stingray for more than righty stingray (well, im assuming they go for more, being a bit rarer).
    3. Buy righty stingray + have money left over.

That way someone who is a lefty gets to play a lefty, you get to play a righty + you get money out of it. And no stingrays will be harmed in the process.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    That's what I'm thinking of doing, but how long would I have to sit on that Stingray? I'm not sure about lefty turn-around times on TB.

6. +1

7. Advertise it locally, craigs list, ebay etc. ?

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    I'd rather put it up on TB first, hold it a month or two, and then take it to evilbay.

9. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    ........eyes IRS tax return

10. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    :D See? There's already interest in it!

Become a Supporting Member & post it in the Classifieds. Everybody wins!

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    I would gladly trade it outright for a righty ray too, but I don't see that as happening. lol

You know you wanna...

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Of course the first thing I do to a lefty bass is restring it upside down. :D

13. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    I thought that was the norm? :D

14. skotsour

skotsour

Mar 4, 2009
    Chicago
    I think there would be plenty of leftys here interested in a nice lefty Stingray...hint, hint.

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    It sounds like it's got a little buckle rash on the back, but supposably in very good condition otherwise. I'll let y'all know more when I get it.

16. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    like this:

6ihsakguaz.
    I play with the E string on the bottom.

17. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    oh LUG you made my day!!!

I can and do play normal lefty and inverted, so I do.

most of my basses are righthanded, and I play them inverted ( G on top ). do any of my righty basses knobs or switches get in the way flipped over? nope... I DO know they are there...but never does my wrist/hand hit them.

anyone who says destruction of a good ray is not seeing the whole picture...( or LUG's picture ) :)

where's the destruction part come in just from flipping a nut and saddles?????

p.s. I also own a righty MM clone also and flip it -- and I never had an issue with the knobs.

18. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Hmm, I might just be flipping it then. How does it hang while standing? Did you move the strap button at all? I'd like to see pics plzkthx. =)

19. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    sure I'll upload a few pics to photobucket for you tonight and post them in a PM or here. I
    do have one video that has me playing the thing on youtube among the other ones, but at that point in time I had NOT moved the strap button off the horn to the plate and with 5 strings I didn't care the strap was in the way since the song did not require anything past fret 12.

20. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    yep

http://www.box.net/shared/static/jno6jyj2kl.avi

(telling the drummer that he missed the "1".) :D
    I've only moved the strap button to the lower horn on my Rick and probably wouldn't do that today (did it in 1977)