1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Re-stringing my Peavey T-40

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by T-Forty, Sep 25, 2008.

1. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Hi-Beams and I am going to give them a shot. T-40s are string-through though and this is my first time re-stringing it. Should I worry about the length of the strings or will the normal length be long enough?

This may be a dumb question, but I've never had a string-through guitar and I don't want to get home and not have enough length!

2. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    cmon now

3. You should go with the long scales, otherwise the string taper might go over your nut.

4. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    No problem putting standard Fender flats on mine. Don't know about DR.

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Don't know specifically about those strings but traditionally the T-40 needs long strings due to the strung-thru design. I've bought a couple of sets over the years that came up short and had to use them on other basses.

6. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks homies

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    DR Hi-Beams work just dandy on a Lakland string-trhough-body so they should work on your T-40 as well. Most regular long-scale strings are long enough to work on STB basses. The key exception is D'Addario. For those you need to get the extra-long sets, which can sometimes be a pain. They changed this around 1990 or so (before that, D'Addario strings fit my STB StingRay, and after that they didn't).

jte

8. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    DRs and GHS strings will fit anything 34" or 35", bridge or string through. Those are the only two brands I am sure of. I've gotten to the point of only buying DRs or GHS strings because of this.

D'Addario; you will need extra long to go through any string through.

9. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Good info.

I am trying to decide if I should go with Hi-Beams or Sunbeams.

Any thoughts?

I've read on here that Hi-Beams sound nice and warm but bright after bring broken in.

I play with a pick, by the way. My band is a post-punk type band. Mid-tempo, punchy rock stuff.

10. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    DR's are long enough for a T-40. I use Lo-Riders on mine, and they're plenty long enough. I made the mistake of putting regular long scale D'Addario's on once, and they were NOT long enough... the E string tapered right around the first fret, which made playing down there miserable and buzzy. But DR do it right.

11. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    ROFL!!! Sorry that was a riot. I gotta remember that 'bump' comment next time I post a thread and no one replies.

For what its worth, I recently restring my T40 and I never even considered string length with regards to the string through on it. The strings I put it came off of my Dynabass so were cut for the Dyna. They were a perfect fit for my T40.

12. Normal string length is fine - I own a T-40 and have never had to worry about string length.

13. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    But anyone reading this thread should be aware that Regular Long Scale D'addario's are not long enough to be strung through-body, be they on a Peavey T-40 or a USA Fender for that matter. Other brands vary, but DR's are definitely long enough.

14. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I've used DR Hi-beams, 100-40 no problem on my T-40. TI Jazz flats fit like a glove as well, and sound killer.