Re-stringing question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fret Boiler, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Hello all,

I have a brand new Fender Jazz on the way and the first thing I plan on is restringing. A friend of mine gave me a set of Rotosound Swing Bass strings (RS 66LD) which are long scale, but the Fender Bass specs a length of 34". Are these strings going to be too long? (P.S. I'm a Bass noob, hence the noob question).

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    They will fit fine. Long scale refers to a 34" scale bass.

3. You wont have any trouble mounting those strings...there will be plenty of extra string left when it get to the tuners. Unless you feel like winding the string on the tuner for an hour i suggest getting a nice sharp set of wire cutters to neatly trim the excess string from the tuner.

As far as how much to trim off...i like to leave atleast 3" of string past the tuner when the string is in the bridge. when it gets to the the G string tuner you may not have to trim the string at all.

Good luck, this is really an easy task. if you have anymore questions you can answer them yourself by looking at the bass with the strings it came with.
  4. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Thanks! Appreciate you guys helping beginners.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Good advice! String cutting is a really subjective thing, I usually cut them when they get to the next tuner (as in, I cut the E string when it gets to same distance past the nut as the hole in the A string tuner). Plenty of string so that it doesn't slip, but not so much that it'll overwrap.
  6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Just to add mt 2 cents worth - 3" past the tuner is about the longest I would go, but probably not less than 2".

Also, be sure to put a 90-degree bend in the string about 1/2" before the point where you're going to cut it off, and do this BEFORE you cut it. Some strings can unwind if this not done first. That 1/2" tail then goes into the hole in the center of the tuning post.