1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Re-tubing my SVT-VR. Any suggestions/warnings on tube types?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moment15, Mar 16, 2009.

1. In the next couple weeks I'd like to re-tube my SVT-VR. Basically, I'm looking for suggestions/ideas on what other people have used when re-tubing these amps and how different configurations have sounded.

Any info will be warmly welcomed! Just looking for options!

Thanks.

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    For power tubes, if you're sticking to 6550's and not going the vintage route, SED winged C's are my favorite. And, since you're in providence, I can recommend B-sharp as a retailer if you don't want to have to order online.

You shouldn't need to replace the current pre-amp tubes unless you've had specific problems, but as far as pre's, I've had good results with JJ's and have no complaints about the EHX branded tubes.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i replaced all the front end tubes in my VR with NOS Telefunken & Amperex 12AX7's and two NOS RCA 12AU7's. Since mine doesn't have that many hours on it, i'm still running the 6550WE's that came with it. when i go to replace the output tubes, i'll switch to the winged C 6550's, but changing the preamp tubes made it sound like my other two vintage SVTS' ('69 & '75) so i'll wait til the WE's are in need of replacing (ain't broke/don't fix it).

4. Thanks for the info guys! These are great suggestions, I'm hoping some more people respond and give a breakdown of what tubes they used and how they affected the overall sound.

Thanks again.

5. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I've heard that JJ tubes have been problematic as of late. This comes from a trusted source so I'd stay away from them.

Dan

6. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I don't have a VR, but an older style SVT. For the power tubes I used Svetlana 6550C's and the tone is great. I've heard great things about Tung-Sols and I will probably try them if I ever need to get new tubes. There is a huge thread on SVT tubes if you search, you may get some more information.

7. Thanks. Thanks!!!

8. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH

I'm curious as to why you're doing it. Is there a problem with it?

9. Mostly just trying to see what other tones I can get out of the amp. Also, I've put a lot of hours on these tubes, and figure being proactive can't hurt.

10. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Assuming you're talking about me :bag: I've had lots of problems with their preamp tubes as of late, but my sample size is small enough for it to be evidence of nothing other than me getting pissed off. :help:

11. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Any tonal differences will be smaller than the changes you'll get from turning the tone knobs, changing cabs, playing your bass differently, etc. If the money you spend on tubes is disposable cash with which you aren't afraid to experiment, there shouldn't be much harm in buying tubes and trying them out. In my experience, it is rarely worth the expense if I already have a functional set of tubes.

Idle hands are the devil's playground or something. :)