Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RE: Upright Epiphone 50's

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Celarier, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Celarier

Celarier

Sep 5, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I am currently exploring the purchase of an upright bass. Recently I have seen an ad reading "UPRIGHT BASS, 1950'S Epiphone with Fishman pick up and preamp. In excellent condition with a gig bag. $1200" Does anyone know wether Epiphone actually made decent uprights during this period or should I not bother researching this bass further? Thanks, Celarier

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Very desirable plywoods. Of course, before you buy any bass it should be checked out by a luthier first if possible, but at that price you better move quick.

3. Celarier

Celarier

Sep 5, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Thanks so much for the rapid response as it apears I'll need to make a decision soon. I talked to the seller today and he mentioned a local luthier that he sent it too and who had given it a "clean bill of health" after they installed an upgraded 'end-pin'. Alas I realize words are cheap and it is time to at least see it. I assume from your wise words the "plyboards" are of a different quality or tone than solid hard-woods. I know from my past experiences as a guitar player this distinction could be significant. Nonetheless, my guess is that all solid wood upright's are very expensive and beyond the beginner's budget. Thanks again, I am going to see it tommorrow.

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I've got one for sale from that era for $4000. let me know if you don't buy yours...

5. Celarier

Celarier

Sep 5, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Thanks for responding. Alas, I had bought the Epiphone Upright. before receiving your e-mail. The good part to the purcahse is that given about 40-50 some years of use it does seem in somewhat in shape. But as the neophyte that I am, it remains to be seen how good of a shape. The major concern was that it has a hairline crack across the mounting part for the neck, wich directionally speaking follows the plane of the fretboard . The bass is no shiny piece which I am beginning to like because perhaps it means it has character . Some natural wear on the sides, one finnish penetrating hit on the front, and few more on the back. NOT what I would call excellent condition . Anyway. to me it sounds awesome and I guess that's what it's all about.
    The E string does not ring out like the others especially the A but this is a lack of any techniqueon my part I think. If I can't hang onto it... Thanks again, Celarier