Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Re-waxing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 17, 2003.

1. The grain was getting a bit too pronounced on the neck of my FBB fretted, so I got some Butcher's and some boiled linseed oil, sanded it down a bit with #0000 steel wool, oiled the neck, added a layer of wax, buffed and sanded, added another layer of wax, and buffed. I'm not really noticing a difference. Should I be sanding more vigorously, or should I just be applying more wax?

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    By pronounced grain, do you mean that the neck feels gritty, or that you feel the glue lines?

If it is gritty, you should notice the difference after buffing with the steel wool. If you are feeling glue lines, which can sometimes happen when you swing from high humidity to very low humidity (New England winter), then you might need to get a sheet of 320 grit sandpaper and hit it with that. Remember to sand with the grain!

3. The neck was feeling gritty. I did feel somewhat of a difference after the steel wool treatment, but I went back late last night and put on another three coats of wax (with steel wool and buffing in between each) and it feels just spectacular now.

Matt, just for reference: how many applications of wax do you put on each of your basses after you initially oil the bare wood?

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I generally only do one coat. Things change once the bass has had some hours logged on it and there is some grit build up. It takes some elbow grease to get it all smoothed out, as you might have noticed ;)

Glad the bass is nice and slick for ya again.