Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RE: WIDE neck 5-strings??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HHHolmes, Apr 15, 2003.

1. I've been looking into entering the"land of 5" - looking for any input as to if any makers make wider necks that others (it's these damn big hands!!).

I've got limited access to 5 strings in my area (MusicMan & Spector are about it) - so it'll probably be an internet or TB - For Sale purchase.

I'll probably have about $1500 by the end of next month - any opinions would be a huge help.

Thanks Mates!

2. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i had the opportunity ow own one of the warwicks wideneck (but it was as 6 string) it was WIDE

and really nice

i haghly recomend the wides on warwicks

in comparision of the old ones this ones have a flat neck

not a slim one...but really confortable

the thumb have a bigger boddy and the thumb 5 wide have the tipical warwick dive that stop when it is horizontaly (the ones i have played)

3. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Lakland 55-94, Warwick tumb 5 BN, Ibanez BTB 1005E prestige (the ones with bartolini pups) MIA Fender jazz bass 5, MTD beast (I know that one is cheaper but it's a great bass) tha's all I can think of for now:)

4. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Lakland!

Very comfortable wide neck that has a flat profile. The neck is very easy to play fingerstyle as well as slap. You can find a used USA 55-94 for $1500 used, or a new Lakland Skyline for under $1500. Call Beaver at Bass Central and see what he has in stock. Lakland makes a very versitale bass that will suite just about any genre of muisc. If you can afford it go with the USA made Lakland, it is worth the extra cash.

Stay away from the wide neck Warwicks. The Warwick has a huge neck dive problem as well as just being flat out heavy as piss bass. Also, the sound is not very versitale like the Lakland. Don't get me wrong, Warwick basses sound good. They only get one sound, the Warwick "mid-range growl". I sold my Warwick Thumb BO 5 to get my Laklnd 55-94. I could not be any happier. That was probally the smartest thing I have done to improve my sound. The Lakland is easier to play as well. Good luck!

5. Cool - great tips guys :cool:

I've been looking (OK - drooling) at some of the Laklands - any idea if the necks are wider than the Musicman?

I'll be doing alot of different genres - I'm glad to hear that the Laklands are versatile.

Thanks a bunch.

6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Also look for a used Curbow Exotic Petite, or Cort's version of the same Curbow. There is also a Warwick Thumb Wideneck 5 at Bass Northwest right now.

7. Here's another vote for the Lakland 55-94. I own two of them and couldn't be happier.

The neck is flatter (from front to back) than the Stingrays but it has a wider string spacing- 3/4" at the bridge, similiar to the spacing you see on a four string.

8. get a warwick 5, like a steamer I/II or thumb or something. Thats just my 2 cents.

- w00t

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    If you can handle the weight

Warwick Streamer Stage I 5

D

10. The Petites can be very wide--a fantastic neck!--but not all of them are that wide. The Cort version is a different beast altogether, and doesn't have a particularly wide neck.

If you're looking at new stuff, the MTD imports, the Yahamas (except for the JM Sig), the Lakland Skylines, and the Cort Elricks all have pretty wide 3/4" spacing, as well as some others that folks have already mentioned.

Of course, $1500 will sometimes get you some pretty high-end stuff used--I've seen the USA Elricks, Laklands, Curbows, and even MTDs in that price, as well as Warwick Streamer Stage I, etc.

Mike

11. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Do you mean wide at the nut or wide at the bridge (or both)? What scale length are you looking for? For that kind of money, you have many choices, espcially if you are OK with buying used. How about I give you some things to stay away from: Warwick (standard necks), Musicman, G&L, Modulus (standard necks).

MTD, Lakland, and Fender may be good picks for you. Heck, for that kind of money you could make your own as well (like warmoth or USA custom).

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My definition of "wide 5": nut width is 1-7/8", bridge spacing (string to string) is 3/4", or 19mm. This is the same as a Fender Jazz bass extended by one string.

Wide fives I own: Fender RB5, MTD 535, Warwick Streamer Stage I 5 (20mm spacing at bridge, and a brick as DarkMazda said), MTD 535.

I believe all Fender and MTD fivers are "wide", including the imports. Well, the new Marcus Miller fiver looks like it has narrow spacing, but I haven't seen the specs.

I also own two fivers which are "not-quite-wide": a Modulus Quantum 5 and a Mike Lull P5. Both of these are 1-7/8" at nut, but bridge spacing is only 17mm so I can't get as comfortable on them as I can on my 19mm fivers. But they're such cool basses otherwise that I can't bear to sell them.

Modulus offers a wide 5 which is 2" at nut, and I believe Pensa does as well.

13. SnaveDogg

SnaveDogg

Mar 21, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    was a neck sold by Warmoth called the Big Five.
    It allowed you to have the same string spacing as a 4 string, except it's a five.
    Don't know if they still make it. I'm sure they could if you called them.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The two widest-necked 5 strings I've tried are Yamaha TRB5P and Ken Smith.

Much wider and flatter than any Warwicks, Fenders or Laklands!

15. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    Yet my Ken Smith BMT Elite 5 is the narrowest of my 5ers - 1.75 at the nut.
    My Alembic Essence is the widest - a bit over 2",

When you get into these basses used, I think there a lot of "customs" floating around & you need to approach it on a bass-to-bass basis

16. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I believe the Modulus Wide 5 is actually their 6 string neck set-up for 5. It is 2" at the nut and the string spacing at the bridge is 22.25mm as opposed to the 1.85" at the nut and the 17 mm string spacing of the normal Q5.

17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Regular warwicks have narrow spacing. Even music man 5's are a little tighter. I have ditched spectors, warwicks, and roscoes all for that reason.

I recommend any lakland or MTD, especially imports. Also, I am trying to sell a Pedulla MVP 5 that has great spacing as well, you can look into some of their stuff, but I think they make both narrow and wide spacing.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I agree with a lot of the suggestions, but I'd like to ad one more to the list. This one:

19. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Agreed woodchuck. I don't know how the flea is, but the genesis has the wider spacing over the quantum.

I got that metallic modulus that has been floating around. It plays and sounds great, but I don't know what to do about that metallic pink finish. If anyone is interested, PM me, also a guy named george daniels has an ad on bassgear for one just like the pic for a good price.

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It is not in the price range new but Sadowsky basses have a great wide neck on their five string basses they just fit like a glove. Allso FBB basses have wide necks you could get one in that price range. Check the site www.fbbcustom.com it might just be what you are looking for. Good luck :)