Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Re-wiring a piece of S@$!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bigbad4string, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Okay, I have a crappy Samick 4-string that I got for a whole $158. Anyway, I really don't have anywhere near the cash to get a new bass, so could I just get better pickups, electronics, etc. and still get the same sound? I was thinking of stuffing some Seymore Duncans in it or something. Well, tell me what you think......

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you get the thing all modded, I think you'll find you spent enough money to get a decent used bass, or at least one that is way better than your Samick. Plus, the crap they call wood will still give you crap tone. fundamentally, in addition to whatever beer cans the bridge is made from, et al.

I used to play with a guitarist who tried "polishing a turd" and it still sounded like a shiny turd, (he added DiMarzio's, changed the pots, put on a Floyd Rose). He still wasn't allowed to play the thing in public.

3. I have a Samick fretless with a P/J passive pickup configuration. I got it for $100. used.
    I rewired it myself and put in Seymour Duncans that I bought used off of Ebay. I have less than $150. in it and have a wonderful sounding bass. I also have two fretted DP Custom built basses so I do know what a good sounding bass is.
    If you can do the work yourself and pickup decent parts used you too can make a much better sounding bass. Keep it in the Groove!!!