1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reached a new level, at last.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by KingRazor, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Tonight I played a few songs that I already knew how to play pretty well along to the original recording. Then I listened to a few other songs that I had heard dozens of times and had never played. I listened for the bass parts and...started playing along. And I got about 90% of the notes right!

I still remember being at the stage where it didn't seem possible to simply listen to a recording and play along. Feeling like I needed notation or TAB just to play a song.

It's really awesome. Anyone out there who's having trouble with this, keep at it. It will come! I've been playing almost 4 years now.

2. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You are now a 2nd level bassist, also known as a Squier. :)

I kid!

Practice is where it's at. I was very lax about practicing when I was younger. I'm going through a "practice every day whether you feel like it or not" phase and it is paying off.

3. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    Yep, I'll feel like I'm not getting anywhere. just dogpaddling in place, then I'll go back to somenting I tried a couple months before, but was out of reach for me...and proceed to lock right in with it...or I'll be at a jam, and somebody starts a song that I'd been doing mothing but "grooving the root" on before, and suddenly, there's nifty stuff I can throw in there, there's a melodic groove happening...it's those moments that keep me workin' at it:)