read any good books lately?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Mar 11, 2004.

1. the title speaks for itself.

Normally I'm not a reader, but I just finished "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki and it certainly changed my life. Good financial book.
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I read some book called "Hostage" i dont remember the Author.... but its got hostages, mafia, crooked cops, wonderful use of foul language, and some dude who rapes people and keeps his mothers head in the refrigerator. Good read.
  3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Filth Pig by Irving Welsh, sick man!

Shel Silverstein. I read it (or it was read to me) as a kid, but reading it now is great. He is a great children's writer!
    BTW "where the sidewalk ends"

Ok I'm having a corny day... :meh:
  4. HollowSoul

Feb 5, 2004
    books suck! music allways! music! :bassist:
    Our tv-games! :-D Final fantasy X YEAH
    have a nice day!
  5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Hollow indeed....... troll.

Maybe if you read a bit you know what a Basklav is?

:ninja: "autobots roll out"
  6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    All the Bill Bryson books, lent them to a mate, got them all back a week or so ago and read them all again :) He's a funny guy.
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Stan Lee(!) - The Alien Factor

You have to like a Alien-Nazi-WWII-thriller bought for just one Euro. :D
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I read the book of Genesis. Interesting stuff.

9. All six of James Clavell's Asian Saga, just finished 2 days ago (took 2 and a bit months!) All brilliant, especially Shogun!
  10. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    aannnnd.... I've been reading Fountain Head for the past 6yrs... :rolleyes:
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Probably something you can understand better than I since your future is much more technology-based than the one I had in high school/college - The New New Thing

It's a hot title.......some explanation can be found at if you're interested.
  12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Currently reading: "Modern Times" by Paul Johnson, a fascinating history of the world from the 20's to the 80's.
    "Treason" by Anne Coulter
    "Venona" Klehr & Haynes
    "Bush at War" by Woodward
    "Witness" by Whittaker Chambers
    "The Final Days" by Barbara Olsen
    There are about 4 others I've left out.
    Alot of old Guitar Player mags, and musician interviews.
    I've probably read "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged" twice in the last 6 years.
  14. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    That explains your location... ;)
  15. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It looks like we agree. I think you extrapulated the two things from that book which I found most important.

Jake, I recommend some Suze Orman. I think she's fantastic.

I just finished The Da Vinci Code, and I think I'm going back for my fourth reading of A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I've got holiday coming up soon, so I need to stop at the store and get some new stuff.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Just finished rereading the LOTR trilogy. Currently reading the Swords series by Fred Saberhagen.
  17. Dreamcatcher by Stephen King
  18. The Templars by Piers Paul Read.

To quote from the book's back cover:

"In 1099, the city of Jerusalem, a possesion of the Islamic Caliphate for over four hundred years, fell to an army of European knights intent on restoring the Cross to the Holy Land. From the ranks of these holy warriors emerged an order of monks trained in both scripture and the military arts: The Knights of the Temple of Solomon, called the Templars."

History... :hyper:

Mike ;)
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Maelstrom (sequel to Starfish) by Peter Watts

I've sort of stopped reading novels the past few months, what with my own writing, school, band, and work. I have found the time to read an inordinant amount of comics and graphic novels, however.
  20. For Spring Break, I borrowed For Whom The Bell Tolls by Hemingway from the school library. I'm almost done with it...I really like Hemingway so no surprise I'm enjoying it.

I'll probably borrow Bill O'Reilly's latest once I get back to school, providing it's in. All copies were unfortunately checked out last week.