Read basses anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MadPink, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Has anyone tried a Read bass? What kind of tone can you get with one?how are they for playing? thin, thick neck? length of neck, etc etc..

2. what no one?

*bump*

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    he participates on the bottom line at times - i think his stuff is very nice, from what i've seen, but i've never had an opportunity to play any.

4. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    I had a brief e-mail exchange with Jack Read a few years ago when I was considering a custom instrument (didn't buy one at the time...funds ran dry.) I haven't had a chance to play one, but that won't stop me from making uninformed comments...

Based on my conversation I don't think Read necks come in any specific shape - what you ask for is what you get. Judging by the variety of woods and pickups he has available I don't think there's a specific "sound" to a Read bass. If you told him what kind of sound you were looking for I'm sure he could tell you how he'd go about making a bass that would reproduce it.

I'm rambling, this isn't helping you at all...send him an e-mail, he's an easy guy to deal with.