Read basses anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MadPink, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Has anyone tried a Read bass? What kind of tone can you get with one?how are they for playing? thin, thick neck? length of neck, etc etc..
  2. what no one?

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    he participates on the bottom line at times - i think his stuff is very nice, from what i've seen, but i've never had an opportunity to play any.
  4. BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    I had a brief e-mail exchange with Jack Read a few years ago when I was considering a custom instrument (didn't buy one at the time...funds ran dry.) I haven't had a chance to play one, but that won't stop me from making uninformed comments...

Based on my conversation I don't think Read necks come in any specific shape - what you ask for is what you get. Judging by the variety of woods and pickups he has available I don't think there's a specific "sound" to a Read bass. If you told him what kind of sound you were looking for I'm sure he could tell you how he'd go about making a bass that would reproduce it.

I'm rambling, this isn't helping you at all...send him an e-mail, he's an easy guy to deal with.