Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Read Custom Fretless Hollow Body....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman blue, Sep 9, 2005.

1. One of the TB members pointed this bass out a while back. I decided to sell my Turner Ren and now have the Read coming from Bunnybass. I have to say that Jimmy at Bunnybass was a pleasure to deal with.

I spoke with Jack Read about this bass. It's the only one in existence. This one was serial number 001 and is hollow with a custom K&K transducer. He found they were too expensive to build this way and began making them slightly different after this one. Looking forward to its arrival.

2. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    WOW. That's gorgeous. Looking forward to your review.

Marshall

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Beautiful bass! I was eyeing that one, but a pretty combo caught my eye, instead...

So, are you going to string it up with tapewounds, or nylon cores? Both tones are great. A tough decision, but what a wonderful choice. :bassist:

5. apparently it has TI Flats on it, so that' fine in my books. i'd rather not use the TI Acousticores if the TI flats work well.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bassman Blue, you're going to fall in love with that bass. I've played it a few times at Jack's place. I wish I had had Jack make me a six string version before he stopped making basses.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Is it completely hollow?

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm almost positive that it is. It had a giant sound that I've never heard a semi-hollow bass be able to get.

9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Nice choice. I'm glad to see that you pulled the trigger on it. Like emjazz I played it a few times at Jack's shop and it is one of those basses that feels like you could make a lifestyle out of playing it.

FWIW, it is lighter than my Ren 4, sounds bigger (plugged in) than my Tacoma CB10F, and has better balance than my Rob Allen. I currently only own the Tacoma.

Also, as the owner of another Read prototype (I own Purity #1), welcome to the club :bassist: