Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

READ MUSIC IS IMPORTANT

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Rafterman, Feb 7, 2001.

1. hey guys whats up...i wanna learn how to read "bassic music" notes on sheet music...does anyone know a good site that teaches it online?!

2. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Reading music is a good thing. Probably .001% of all bass players can so it's a real popular.

Good luck.

3. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
  4. IMO, all bassists should read (not that tab crap), and the Libster is a good site. Also the workshop columns in Bass Player mag, by Roscoe Beck, Ed Friedland, and others are very useful. These will likely be archived at www.Bassplayer.com

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Good Lord!!

Why am I just learning about this Libster site now? It has EVERYTHING... well, it doesn't have a snazzy forum like TalkBass... but it's still damn cool. Thanks baroquebass

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I've been printing out the lessons on Libster because I read in the forum that it was going down. I hope it's just a nut posting; that sites lessons are great.

Pkr2

7. Dude, I am so happy to hear someone else is in the same boat, I can barely read music, but none of the people I have ever played with have any idea.... I was blessed with an excellant ear, but I am technically a less than decent bass player and that bothers me. I am currently trying to learn sight reading, I have several books, but I don't know any sites.... If you ever want to buy books, check out Mel Bay they are so tacky but they work..... I should not say TACKY but if you see the way the books are printed you'll understand........I am a firm believer that tabs are the WORST/BEST, I don't know, thing that ever happened to musicians.....I LOVE/HATE tabs.....By the way, my so called excellant ear can not figure out the solo to CALL ME AL, by Paul Simon, but I know the one in the tab section is not the same as the recorded version....Sorry I will post my own thread....

8. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Yeah.. it's kinda sad at what level most of us bassists/guitarists are in terms of the musical hierarchy. Not only do we have the training wheels known as frets, but most of us don't know how to read music.

So says the little girl in 5th grade orchestra who plays a FRETLESS violin and reads music.

9. Huna Funk

Huna Funk

Dec 5, 2000
    [Random Comments]

I've been playing bass for around 12 years, took theory lessons for about a total of 6 months when I was still starting out. I got discouraged and strayed away from it for many many years. I was more concerned with just jammin out at the time (nothing wrong with that). Though looking back now I wish I has stuck with it.

I've always been one to just pick things up by ear rather quickly so I never worried too much about theory. Anyway, the point I'm babbling towards is that I don't feel anyone needs a complete understanding of theory to be a musician but at the same time I know for a fact that if I had stuck with theory from the beginning I'd be a million times more proficent on the bass now than I am. IMHO I don't sound like I've been playing as long as I have, and it's due to lack of musical knowledge.

I really found myself at a point where my technique was pretty damn sweet but I just didn't have the knowledge to put it to work to my liking. Theory really isn't that hard to learn, just takes some serious dedication. Go for it!

10. The notes on the lines From Top To Bottom:

Always
    Fine
    Do
    Boys
    Good ---> This is the 'G' on the 'E' string

The notes in the spaces from bottom to top

Grass
    Eat
    Cows
    All ---> The Open 'A' string

Recite this a MILLION times, THEN find them on the fretboard.

I got this from my daughter BTW, who plays piano. I'm a violinist, and NEVER learned the bass clef.

Later.

11. all I can add to what´s been said above is: try to find a teacher...

I think it´s really hard to learn reading sheet music without anyone to tell you what to do... (in person).. although of course we on talkbass are a good source... :cool:

but I said "I think" because I did learn from a teacher, otherwise I´d probably be reading tab like a monkey... (or something)... :)

have fun.. and don´t give up..

and btw... the libster IS a great site... they even gave me the Francis Rocco Prestia bass day video some time ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

12. amebassplaya, you saying that stuff about what the lines are confused the hell out of me! I don't know what G on the E string is, so i'll just stick to tabs. I got my bass, came to talkbass and got tabs. I read and write all my music as tabs. Works for me...

13. I_Dream_Of_Bass

I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    Libster...ahhh...coulda used that about a year ago...

I took about a year off and on of theory when I used to play guitar, so I know enough to know that I don't know enough, but I can write out lines with a very basic understanding. Unfortunately, this is from a guitarists point of view, I never learned the bass clef either and simply get confused and then pi**ed of because I have to actually think about what I'm reading and can't simply PLAY it!!!

For people like FeTiS, tabs are fine for playing and I use them almost all of the time for playing, but if you don't know the song, or at least can't listen to it over-and-over to get some of the timing issues down, then having the sheet music makes that a moot point. The timing is included in sheet music and is actually quite easy to play, if you can read it quickly. Understanding theory, also helps to play understand note/chord structure and will allow you to create better leads and bass lines for your own songs.

Sigh...I suppose that now that I have found out about that site, I'll have to start learning theory all over again...

14. Christos; the solo in Call Me Al was recorded as only the first half. Bakhiti could'nt think of any cool way to get back out of it, so the engineer reversed the tape, and voila! There's the second half. Bakhiti then had to learn it in order to play it live. Bass players have gone insane trying to learn to play that properly, and I have yet to hear anyone nail it perfectly.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hey Marty, you can't get that slap solo from Call Me Al exactaly, BUT

if you have a limiter in pedal form, you can kick it on with a high setting for the second half, play the line in ascending form, and the sound of the limiter going crazy on your notes sounds almost like a reverse tape. works for me.

16. That's a very cool solution, SuperDuck. I like it!