Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Read my college essay!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iplaybass, Oct 15, 2002.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Whoooo! It's nearly that time! Here's essay #1 for anyone who's interested...

In response to “What is the most interesting thing you are bringing with you to college and why?”

Let’s be frank. I don’t even know what the name of the most interesting thing I’m bringing to college with me is. I was about 9 years old, and at the Pink Palace Museum with my parents. No trip to the museum is complete without a trip to the overpriced gift shop, right? It was one of those impulse buys you cry to your parents to get you, promising you’ll do the dishes for a week or take out the garbage for a month. Then, when they do buy it for you, you either lose interest in it or break it after five minutes. We’ve all been there. Now, as for this particular impulse buy… you’ve seen them. One of the little plastic boards, about 5 inches by 4 inches, with about a thousand pins in it. It’s a clever set up, with two boards holding the actual pins in place and another clear one on top to keep the pins from falling out and allow you a clear view of all the lined-up pins. Did I say a thousand pins? Ok, you got me, I exaggerated. There are actually 546, 26 pins per row in 21 little rows. These 546 little pawns await your order, and can take any form that you place under the board. Clutched by boredom, I’ve put this little gadget on everything from my bass guitar to my own face. My favorite trick is to put the board on the remote control, and then change the channel by pressing on the imprint of the button. For something like twenty dollars, this “toy” has been entertaining me for nearly 8 years.
    Now, why is this little trinket the most interesting thing I am bringing with me to college? After all, my lucky 311 shirt, my music library, and my collection of Calvin and Hobbes books tell an interesting story, also. The pin board is important and interesting to me because it reminds me of everything I strive not to be. The pins never retain their contour; rather, they just revert back to their original flat surface as soon as the object under them is removed. They merely change shape to fit whatever pressure is being placed on them at the moment, and then change back as soon as the pressure is removed. They show no sign of being affected at all by any object that has been placed under them. Much like a closed-minded person, the pins never “learn” or gain experience from events. They glean nothing from the occurrences in their vicinity, they have no form or principles of their own, and they can do nothing to affect the world around them. To have form, principles of your own, and the ability to hold your shape even when the pressure is on, is something I can honestly say I admire. To be able to learn from experience, to take in what you see and realize the mistakes you have made, sets wise apart from learned in my mind. If 546 little pins taught me all that, think what I could learn from fidgeting with college lab equipment.

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Excellent!

I'll get mine up here sometime. I haven't revised it much in about a month, but I'll dig it out soon and redo it.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I had a big version of those pin boards. I think it officially spread coldsores to two hundred and thirty-one people before a couple of the little plastic nuts came unscrewed and all the pins fell out. Stupid pin board.

4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Haha... I love mine. I took it apart once, too, and it was a b*tch to put back together.