Read Purity or DB750?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Sep 1, 2009.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    What would be the tonal differences? Would probably run a CA-9 with the Read.

2. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender The less notes you play, the more money you make.

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    The Read would be clean, clean, clean. The Aggie, not so much.:ninja:

3. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I'm after a warm tube sound, so when you say clean, is that in a clean tubey context? I had a Kern/CA9 paired up, and other than the weight, I often wonder why the hell I sold that combo. Seems like the Kern and the Read are close and wondering how far off the DB750 is.

I'm going to be running this through an Acme Low B4 and the DB750 should be plenty enough juice. I remember thinking how running the single channel 900W of the Crest through the Low B4 really made it open up.

4. Frankie Fender

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    When you say tubey context, I think of the Read as extremely clean like a demeter 201, very clean. Too clean for my tastes. The Aguilar has more "character" if that is what you are looking for.

I would not describe the Aguilar sound as SWR or Demeter clean, but the Read is in that group. The Read purity IMO is one of the cleanest, transparent preamps out there and the DB750 is somewhere near the middle of the spectrum. Ampeg would be at the other end. Don't get me wrong, I love my DB750, it breaks up nicely and has the grit when I dial it in, but I cannot get it to do the "transparent" sound. Not that I am looking for that either, it definitely has character though and some folks love it or not.

The DB750 and the Read Purity are not even similar IMHO of course.

Also, from what I have read, I would think the Kern has more character than the Read too, but I have never heard one of those. All the others I mentioned I have played.

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    :confused:

My DB750... Correction, Scott McArron's once he picks it up tonight... Stays clean until the absolute end of its usable gain. Granted it has some lower gain RCA tubes in V1 and V4, but when I put the stock tubes in it I experienced the same thing.

6. Frankie Fender

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Lower gain tubes would do that, I tried it with some old magnavoxes and Silvertones (RCA) now I have a telefunken in there and there is still some grit to it, never pristine in the sense of the other preamps I mentioned no matter which tubes I put in. YMMV

Silky, what are you replacing the DB with?

7. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Yea, I really am after some tubey tonal character to work with. I didn't realize the Read was that tranparent. Funny because that's how the Acme cabs are billed, as being transparent. But I've always mated with a "character" pre or head (Kern, Mpulse600, LMII). The thing that also I guess appeals to me about the db750 is that it would also be less weight than the Read + CA9, but about 15# me thinks.

8. Frankie Fender

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Well that's what I'm doing. :smug: I shelved my CA9 and sold my Heavy all-tube amps, and the DB suits me fine!

9. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Well it looks now like I can't do either based on a major home repair we have to get done soon.:crying::bawl:

10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Right, but as I said, even with the stock tubes I couldn't get much in the way of breakup until the very top end of its usable gain.

For now I'm replacing the DB with a Markbass LMTube (Class A/B 500 watt version). I'll probably get another big amp at some point. Possibly a Thunderfunk, possibly something all-tube... Only time will tell :p

11. Frankie Fender

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Sorry to hear that.

12. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Well when you are done with the house repairs.....I own a READ purity, a Demeter VTBP201, an an Alembic F1-X. The latter two have simple volume/gain controls in one pot. The READ will do clean like the Demeter but not as clean, but it will do slight tubey grind more than the other two, particularly if you push the gain up and lower the master. There is no master vol. on the Demeter or the Alembic, - you could get that if you lowered the power amp, and raised the the gain on the preamps.

13. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    My DB 750 never breaks up, no matter how high the gain stage is at.

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I had a Purity for a while and, while I ended up getting rid of it, there were certain aspects of it I loved. For example, I agree it had a really clean tone, but that's not to say that's all it was good for: it was quite capable of being driven into tube distortion - and did so very nicely. It also had a particularly innovative Enhance knob that tweaked the mids in a way I've seen few other preamps do - really cool feature!

The reason I got rid of it is that I found it lacking a little in the lows. I thought about adding a parametric to get more lows out of it, but ended up going in another direction.

The only other thing that bugged me was that once Jack stopped making the Purity and went out of business, he became MIA, not responding to e-mails and such...very hard to get a hold of. Before that, however, he was very attentive.

15. Frankie Fender

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Well, maybe it doesn't break up, but it sure gets fuzzy. I'm thinking of my using a JJ (ruby) as next tube to throw in and try, I like how that distorts.

16. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I just picked up a Purity and have been playing through it pretty regularly lately, and I agree with this. The clean tone is comparable to a Demeter 201 (for the most part) but it's definitely not limited to that clean tone like my Demeter 201 was.

I haven't found that there is a problem with the low end with mine. I wonder if there were changes to the internal design which would have affected this. I'm running mine with a PLX 1804 and it's absolutely wonderful, I'd love to hear it through a CA-9.

17. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    I found him and he responded to an issue which mine HAS, not had. The issue was that the tube driven DI XLR sounded completely different to the 1/4" line out. The XLR out was devoid of any bottom but the 1/4" was fat as they come. We agreed on how to fix it, but I've not got round to it, and probably never have to in the various ways I employ the Read in various rack setups. I rotate my gear a bit:)...and my favourite preamp for 6 string electric guitar is the Read. Better fatter clean tone, less noise than my triaxis.

He works for a famous audio manufacturer now.

18. Frankie Fender

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I stand corrected that the Read can do both. I had only heard it clean and didn't mess with it as Jack was demonstrating it to me. I knew it did clean though, and much cleaner IMHO than the Aggie could ever do.

You know, I love living in Massachusetts, I have met Jack Read, Jim Bergantino and Lane Poor. Each one welcomed me into their shop/home. I spent time with all of them and talked shop while making purchases.

They were all very accomodating and are all great guys and I wish them all success in whatever they do.

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ...if only I would have known that at the critical decision-making time...

Oh well...I now play through an Avalon VT-737sp, which sounds pretty amazing...

20. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Not to hijack the thread, but I've tried to get my DB750 to grit a bit but have had very little luck with the stock tubes. I think the amp does color the tone a bit darker than some other amps I've used and agree with the poster on the DB being about in the middle of the spectrum. All in all I love the power, bass and punch it delivers. That said, I can get a slightly more transparent tone from my Thunderfunk if I want it or also a slightly darker tone from the Thunderfunk if I want it. There's no natural grit to the Thunderfunk but I ended up with fantastic grit and distortion results by connecting a sansamp VT stompbox to the Thunderfunk.
    If you're looking at a DB750 do yourself (and your back and budget) a favor and also take a look at the Thunderfunk 420 or 550 or 750. The 420 can't match the output of the DB750 but I think the 550 is close and the TF750 is right there or better.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021