1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Read Purity Pre: Where can they be found? Price?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassin' 'Round, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Can't seem to find them available anywhere, stores, ebay, classifieds. Any ideas? Is there some obvious place I'm forgetting to look? :confused:

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Good luck; they're pretty rare. Jack Read has kinda dropped off the radar, and after having just checked, I can't seem to pull up his website.

On that note, PM sent.

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...hmmmm...

~S~

4. OK, the last time I talked with Jack he had some issues with his web hosting place and his website went dark, and he was also having problems with the supplier of the mil-spec glass boards that he was going to use in the next gen of the Purity. Having been involved in afew small operations I know how a "minor" hiccup can torpedo the whole operation. He's still around. Try dropping him an email here jack.read@comcast.net

I own one of the prototype Purity preamps and it is an excellent piece of gear. It also fills a void that other preamps don't cover. It is a discrete component, all tube signal path, with cascading gain staging and a very traditional EQ. The DI is also tube driven and uses a Jensen transformer, and it sounds beautiful. I have heard comments that the Purity is to the Ampeg what the Alembic F1X is to the Fender Bassman. I'd kinda go along with that. I think that the "Purity" name says it all. If you really like tubes, this thing is all about tubes.

Good Luck!

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I used an Alembic F2B for 20 years. My only complaint was the passive midrange control. I took a chance on the Read Purity because I wanted a clean tube preamp with a more versatile EQ section. After running some serious A/B tests, I kept the Read and sold my beloved Alembic.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Purity and love it. It's got a very musical tone, very straightforward, clear, and warm. The only complaint I can think of is the fact that the eq is pretty limited. That said, my basses sound great with little eq, so that's not a big problem.

7. Hi guy's,

I've emailed Jack twice now at the address above and he does
    not seem to be responding. I would like to buy one of his
    pre's and I was wondering if anyone could assist me in
    contacting Jack in any other way. I live in Australia so phoning
    him would not be possible.

Thankz.

Pazman.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I heard from Jack just yesterday, He is redesigning the Purity and hopes to have it in production "soon" (guess: a few more months).

For those who don't know, Jack stopped building basses and custom tube amps and has refocused on making bass preamps only.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just read a post from Jack on The Bottom Line, and he said that he has been working on a new tube preamp design! :hyper:

Tom.

10. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    there was used one up on the Pit just the other day

11. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    there was one for sale on the dudepit recently. it may still be there. check out their "for sale" section.

12. Thankz guys.

Now if only I could find a way to control the GAS for a new
    improved purity pre, I will survive.

Pazman.