Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Read Purity preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emjazz, Nov 12, 2003.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ok ladies and gentleman, in one day I will have in my posession the first production model of the Read Purity preamp. I spoke to Jack last night and he said that it sounds even richer and quieter than the prototype. If you had heard the prototype than you'd be as curious as I am. I thought the prototype was perfect. That shows me just how dedicated to beauty and perfection Jack is. He's made a couple of little changes that really add to the production model. I'll give you all the lowdown and a picture of the pre when I get it tomorrow (Thursday). Untill then, hold on to your seats because you're about to find out about the greatest preamp to ever be available to bass players. Are you ready to hear the Pure sound of your bass?

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    "hold on to your seats because you're about to find out about the greatest preamp to ever be available to bass players."

Quite a bit of hype. I'll believe it when I hear it. People have been building preamps and amps for 50 years. There are a few that sound better than others, but nothing earth shattering, so why would I expect that this one will be so incredibly amazing? Did Jack Read suddenly discover some new technology that no one knows about?

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    AAAAHHHH....It looks like we have a pessimist among us. I just want you to remember what I said a year from now.;)

Has Jack found the key to world Peace? Nope. He did however put a preamp together the way it has never been done; with ALL high quality parts. There have been no shortcuts taken. I promise you that cannot be said about any other company, period. Even the preamps that are highly regarded to be the best have some high quality parts mixed with less expensive parts.

Look at the Aguilar DB680. That is a great pre, but why is it so damn noisy? I honestly can't answer that but Jack's has no noise, none. With Jack's pre you get a no nonsense preamp that you plug into, set everything flat, and than adjust to the room.

About the Alembic F1-X. Jack just had a friend of his over to the shop. His friend brought his very much loved F1-X with him to do a side by side comparison with the Purity Pre. Without making this story too long I will just say that his friend walked out of the shop very unhappy and dissapointed. What he once thought was a fabulous pre was now unusable to him. That's what happened to me. I knew that there had to be more than what was available. My F1-X is now gone and the first Purity pre will be with me tomorrow.

I'm not foolish to think that the pre will be for everyone, just anyone with good taste. :D I do promise however that people will know about this pre very quickly and it will be one of the most respected preamps around. Patience grasshopper.

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Look forward to hearing a review and seeing pics.......but will it really sound purer then my bass plugged direct into the back of my Crest amp??????? :D

keep us posted....

5. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    Great news, emjazz! I can't wait to see your picture(s) and I'm hoping to send Jack the remainder of my balance before the end of next month. At one time I also owned an F1-X pre, which was probably my favorite preamp, unfortunately I sold it a few years back. I'm currently using an SWR I.O.D. preamp-which is very good-but it's somewhat noisy and I really have a hard time keeping it's tone consistent. I've noticed when it heats up I have to turn it's "drive" control down or I get too much distortion. Of course, one of it's main functions IS to provide distortion, but I try to find it's sweet spot and add just a hint of growl. I'm planning on using the I.O.D. as a distortion effect when I receive my Purity preamp, or I may sell the I.O.D. if the Purity is as good sounding as I'm hoping. Once again, congrats. :)

6. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Okay! I'm ready to hear the "pure sound of my bass".
    Can you post some specs on the preamp? I went to Jack's site and couldn't find anything.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    really?

mine's pretty darn quiet. no noise here.

but hey, are you gonna send it out to Vanselus to put up for comparison with the other preamps?

as soon as i get my Alessandro preamp/DI in Van'll have a nice little surprise waiting for him a week later. ;)

would be cool to have a tete a tete with these two very small shop makers.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Brian, there is an all eq bypass so your signal can go straight through the tubes and out.:p

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sorry, I won't be able to part with my pre to send it to Vanselus. It is a good idea though. I'll have Vanselus contact Jack to talk about it.

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Here's the email that I just got from Jack:

[Andy,

I just buttoned up your preamp. WOW!!! It sounds sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... That is to say,
    sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    nice. Just wait till you wrap your ears around this.

I changed my mind. I'll send your money back and keep it. ;-)]

Oh man, I can't wait to hear this thing!!!!!

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

REALLY?? That's a killer feature and something that should have been offered before now!

You made me really want to check one out. Send her on over :), actually bring it to NAMM if you’re coming.

The direct through feature is one reason I love the Avalon U5 as a preamp, but with the tone knob is gives great eq setting's if you feel your missing something in a room your playing.

As for the aguilar I know the noise issue, I've dealt with it when I had one in. Could get some great tones, but not for the money and with the noise.

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I am eagerly awaiting your review, preferably post-live gig (that's the reality that really counts).

Actually, you will at least be hearing your cabs as well. Bergantino's are very nice, but I think they bring their own color along for the drive. I haven't heard Accugrooves or Phil Jones' cabs, but I suspect that they are closer to sonic neutrality. Tube preamps usually add at least some 'warmth', but maybe this is not the usual tube preamp.

Not trying to dampen your spirit (probably couldn't anyway), just wanted to interject a bit of context to the pending sonic event.

Bring it on!

13. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Whew! For a minute there I thought you were talking about my ALEMBIC F1X.;)

14. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    No, it was the Aguilar F1X! The noisey one used by quite a number of pros. They prefer it to the DB 680 or the Alembic F1X. Because it's soooooooo noisey!
    I don't know why! :rolleyes:

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    This should be interesting. I've tried most of the pres out here; Demeter, Aggie, Alembic, SansAmp, all of the digital ones ( :eek: ), most recently I owned an Avalon U5. Nice but it didn't sound any better than the pre in my old AMP BH-420 amplifier (if even as good). Dead quiet, smooth and the character of each bass came through time after time. For that matter my Yamaha PB-1 works great, is quiet and very flexible. I guess my perfect preamp just gets the heck out of the way;)

I'm waiting to be amazed;)

16. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    The name of it scares me.........

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Matt Schmill likes this preamp so there must be something to it...

18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    True they do have a musical voice, which is needed. A true flat stereo speaker will not cut in the mix with guitars and drums well. A stereo style speaker will sound wonderful in a solo setting, but a bass cab must be designed for bass and have a voice which projects and cuts through the mix. It’s finding the balance between having a voice and still projecting the true characteristics of the instrument that many cab companies lack.

I'd love to check out a Phil Jones cab, I've heard so many great things about them! Are they similar to Acme or Accugroove?

EDIT; I was getting Phil and Wayne Jones confused. I've seen the Phil Jones. I would like to check out their heads, but can't get a reply from them.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool!!!

funny, but the Alessandro preamp/DI will do the same.

would be interesting to hear how its 6SL7 octal preamp tubes would differ from the Read's 12AX7's.

lol,

sorry for piggie backing your "Read" thread, but its funny how the small shop guys think SOO different from the larger shops, but are kinda in the same boat as one another.

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    can't wait, man! i'll be placing an order in january :D too bad i'll be screwing up the tone with the eden cabs i'll be playing through :D