Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Read Purity tube decision ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JTGale, Nov 8, 2004.

1. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    OK, I have finally broken down and saved up my bucks and am ordering a Read Purity. Yea! But I have a question for all of you. Jack (Read) says that I have options for the tubes. Any suggestions? Should I upgrade to the Telefunkens or go with the "stock" ones or is there something else I should consider? Does anybody know what ones were in the preamp played on BassTasters (which is an awseome site, BTW!)? Just curious. I am looking for that "really warm tone" with as few bells and whistles as possible. I play both slap/funk and jazz bass mostly through Bartolini pickups with active circuitry (both 4 and 5 string). Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.
    <p> Groove on!

2. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Bumpity bump bump ...

3. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Good call ...

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I didn't go with the 'exotic' tubes when I bought my Purity almost a year ago. If it were here, I'd tell you what brand(s) of 12AX7 & 12AU7 I have in it, but it's in the rehearsal room. Whatever Jack uses for 'stock' tubes sounds awesome IMO. I'd suggest you go with the 'stock' tubes. You can always upgrade later.

Just my 2 cents, Art

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I went with upgraded knobs and stock tubes. I love it so much I can't imagine how much better his cryogenically-treated Telefunkens are. He says much better.

I think you can't get better...if it IS that much better, spend the extra $90 or whatever they cost.

6. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Jack said the Telefunkens run about $60 more and are about the best tubes ever made, in his opinion. But, he also gave me the option of a Mullard copy by GT ($10) more, an SED (aka "Winged C"), or the stock JJ/Teslas or Ei Gold Elite. Sounds like the "stock" tubes are as good as they can get? I have heard a lot of great things about Telefunken. Decisions, decisions, decisions ... Thanks guys for responding.

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I think my tubes are the JJ/Tesla's now that you mention it.

I'm not 100% sure, whatever they are sound great.

Whichever tubes you choose, you're gonna love your Purity! :bassist:

-Art

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yep. Tell Jack what you told us!

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Oh: I have the Ei Gold Elite. I might eventually try one or more of the others but that would simply be curiosity. I couldn't be happier.

10. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    tell jack exactly what you are looking for. He will tell you what will be best for that better than any of us can.

He's a great guy to deal with, and that's a nice pre you are getting yourself.

11. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Mine has a JJ/Tesla 12AX7 and a RCA 12AU7. It sounds great, if I'm not mistaken, the 12AU7 is for the DI.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Jack's stock tube is a JJ. I have to say that it sounds great in his preamp. It's darker and not as clear than the telefunken. The telefunken will give you a crystal clear sound with sparkle and sheen while still providing the warmth of a tube. If you want dead accurate than splurge for the telefunken.

13. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I told Jack exactly the tone I was looking for and he was a big, BIG help. I keep telling myself, "Now that's the way to do business!" I have decided he is right. I can't go wrong with the "stock" tubes. And you guys are right. I can't go wrong with this pre. Period. I don't mean to drool too much but the excitement is a little too hard to contain. Trying to not pee my pants ... (or is that allowed here?) LOL

14. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    It really is a pleasure doing business with someone as responsive as Jack, ey?? One of the big reasons I got myself a purity.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I just put a Sylvania 7025 and Jan Philips 12AX7WA in my Demeter 201S (these two are virtually the same tube). The 7025 is in the gain/tone socket and the JP is in the fx/output socket. I'm pretty sure most of the tone comes from the gain/tone socket.

They are a very nice combination of warmth, smoothness, balance, and articulation (at least in the 201S).

I haven't heard any Telefunkens yet. I understand they typically have more gain.