Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Read the archives, but Q on tuners

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tombowlus, Sep 17, 2003.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    As the subject indicates, I have done a search on this forum, and wow, there have been a lot of threads on tuners! However, after reading through these, I do have some (hopefully more focused) questions.

My first thought was to get a rack tuner, as I have an open space in my rack, and I wanted something easy to see on a dark stage. I currently use a handheld Boss TU-12 (which really works great), but it is fairly small, and not too visible unless I get up close to it. So, my first question was going to be "Korg or Sabine", but from the other posts that I have read, it sounds like Korg is the way to go, if I take the rack route.

Then there was this business about the Boss TU-2 pedal. While the merits of having it in front of you (no turning around), and the ability to leave it in my Pedaltrain board (and therefore available even when I leave my rack rig at home) are attractive, I do worry somewhat about the cumulative effect of having my signal run through yet another pedal (and one without a true bypass, at that). I know that several of you have mentioned that it does not suck your tone, it does have a possibility of affecting my tone, whereas a rack tuner being sent a signal from my Navigator's "tuner out" does not even have the opportunity to do so. So, I was hoping that you kind folk could either allay or confirm my fears with regard to any effect on tone.

My next question is, can the Boss TU-2 continue to track your notes as you play (without muting the signal or sucking the tone out of it), and if so, how easy is it to read? One thing that I liked about a rack tuner is that if I feel like I might be out of tune, I could just glance back at my rack, and not have to mute my signal to check a tuner. The other nice thing is the big display on the Korg tuners. I imagine that they would be fairly easy to read. But, if that little Boss pedal can do all of the above, it may be hard to beat.

Thanks in advance, Tom.

2. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The TU-2 has two outputs, one is muted while tuning, one is pass-through (always lets sound through).

I have one TU-2 and one DTR-2000, and I find the TU-2 to arguably be both faster and more stable than the Korg. Possibly it's not as exact as there are fewer steps on the indicator scale. The big display on the Korg is a bonus, but does not give me as much confidence when playing since it's wobbling about slightly. The running lights mode on the TU-2 is very visible. When playing (I have tried practicing fretless with a tuner, which is why I bought the DTR in the first place) I find it's important that the tuner responds as quickly as possible, and the TU-2 wins marginally here. I have toyed with the idea of selling the DTR and buying a second TU-2 instead, I would mount it high (on a note stand or something) to make it more visible. Both these tuners (and any others I've tried) take a bit too long to track, so you can only check whether you're in tune by playing quite long notes anyway. I'd love to try one of those strobe tuners, but they are too expensive.

On the tone sucking, if you listen really closely the TU-2 will take out some of the details in the sound, but less so than most pedals. I have put it in a loop anyway. The loop pedal (Boss LS-2) probably steals more from the sound than the TU-2 would have done... :) Anyway, if you're worried about this, there's no reason (apart from having to add a second long cable) you couldn't connect the TU-2 to the tuner out of your amp, just like you would the rack unit.

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You know, I started thinking that as I was reading your post (but before I got to that part of it). Based upon your response (which was dead on point - thanks!), I think I will go with the TU-2.

Thanks again, Tom.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    TU-2, hands down: Tracks great to the open low B, is quicker than the Sabine I got rid of, works as a mute to change basses, is right under your feet onstage so you can see to tune in any little break without turning around, doesn't seem to affect the tone in any noticeable way.

6. Why not run the TU-2 from your tuner out? It does'nt have to be in your chain.....