Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Read this statement by Tom Morello

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RHCFlea, Sep 21, 2001.

1. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    Our deepest sympathy and condolences go out to all the people and their families affected by the attacks on Tuesday. The loss of innocent life is just terrible, and our thoughts go out to all of you who personally may have had friends or family killed or injured in the tragedy. The pain felt across the country demonstrates the lesson of Tuesday's events: that the taking of innocent life is devastating to a society and terribly wrong.

On Tuesday, the victims were American. But the horrible scenes that we've witnessed on TV this week are regular occurrences in other places around the globe. And too often, violence like this has been meted out by our own country and its client states. We should stand together against this type of violence in all its forms, whenever it happens, whether its done in the name of religious fanaticism, or in the names of our own domestic elite.

Our best wishes go out to all of you. Take care of yourselves, and each other.

Peace,

Tom Morello

Isn't that the most sane and honest thing you've heard about the Sept 11 tragedy? Or is it just me.

One more thing: War is Peace, the doctrine from 1984. Never realized how true it was until now: I wrote this on it during homeroom.
    The 1984 Manifesto
    (not here yet)
    tell me if i can post it it it's pretty harsh

Know what would suck? An All Saints cover of Wonderful Tonight

2. both 1984 & Animal changed the way I saw the world.

3. dont get me wrong, i sympathise with the families of the victims of the sep 11th tragety.
    But I find some irony in the fact that america has declared war on terrorism, when the USA give Isreal 5 billion US$ every year (or so i believe) to spend on gunships which they then destroy innocent palistinieans houses with.

Times are sad.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Is Tom Morello the guitarist for RATM?
    If so, have you guys read the Clear Channel Communications(of Texas)150 "insensitive" songs regarding September 11th? The complete list is in our morning paper, one of the local DJs was chirping about it, too, this a.m.
    Well, there's songs like "Ticket To Ride", "Benny & The Jets", "Imagine", "Stairway To Heaven", a few AC/DC tunes, a couple by Metallica, etc
    and...
    ALL Rage Against The Machine songs!?!?

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Actually, it's closer to $10 billion. That's just public aid, too. Private contributions add another couple million. We sanction India and Pakistan for developing half-assed nuclear weapons, but turn the other way while our military hands 200+ working warheads to Israel. And we wonder why the rest of the world is mad at us.

Not to mention all the money the U.S. donates to the IRA, the CIA's armament (and subsequent abandonment) of Tibetan guerillas in the 50s, support for Pinochet, support for right-wing Nicaraguan paramilitaries...

I'll get of the soapbox now.

6. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    your right, though palestine has been worse. Still, this does not justify israeli strikes on civilians.

How many times did U.S. kill more civilians than that in a single attack 3 or more in Japan.
    U.S. also killed 80 million Americans of the Native nature.
    And we kill americans now.

Still, this was a cold-blooded, and evil attack, but it goes both ways for the U.S.

Know what was funny. George Bush mentioned "unmarked grave of discarded lies", when he has been lying since the start of his campaign.

All right, heres the 1984 thingy: It's a bit extreme, read at your own discretion.
    1984 Manifesto

7. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001

Its not you,I agree.

Yes that would suck incredibly.

8. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    JimK said:
    Is Tom Morello the guitarist for RATM?
    If so, have you guys read the Clear Channel Communications(of Texas)150 "insensitive" songs regarding September 11th? The complete list is in our morning paper, one of the local DJs was chirping about it, too, this a.m.
    Well, there's songs like "Ticket To Ride", "Benny & The Jets", "Imagine", "Stairway To Heaven", a few AC/DC tunes, a couple by Metallica, etc
    and...
    ALL Rage Against The Machine songs!?!?

yes, he geetars for them.
    What's this list. Insensitive how? Because they tell the truth. Yeah, some people like ignorance and bliss.

9. I live in South East Texas, which is where Clear Channel holds their monopoly over the local stations. They own the ONLY rock station that can be received... the closest ones are some Houston stations which are too fuzzy to listen to. When my friend comes home from college tomorrow, we're going to call up and request every song that they've banned. Hypersensitivity is not how we should react. Granted, songs of ultraviolent nature wouldn't be appropriate to play at this time, but that should be up to the producers or dj's, not the fat cats up stairs. But when songs like 'Aeroplane' are banned, it just pisses me off. Okay, I'm rambling, I should stop now.

10. America is the sort of country where voicing opinions is acceptable whether they are insensitive and anti-establishment or not. It's called freedom of speech.

You guys should play those songs more often than normally, as a kind of screw-you to everyone else - "This is a country where we can say what the heck we like and nothing you can do is gonna change that".

Man, I don't even live there.

11. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    You may not live here, but you're right.
    Cool name, by the way.

12. Yeah, I saw that. One of the ones they won't play is War Pigs, I thought that was funny since its a good song to dedicate to what's about to happen.

On my radio show last Tuesday I played Dogs of War (The Exploited), Search and Destroy(Iggy and the Stooges), that unspeakable Cure song, and Back to Iraq(Gwar). I wasn't in a really sensitive mood though.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I couldn't believe there would be a list like this.
    I mean, c'mon, folks.

Thomas-
    ...can you clue me in on why "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" is listed?

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I'm pretty pissed at that list of "insensitive" songs. It just goes to show you how much control over freedom Corporate America has.

I'm pretty sure that "Imagine" would've banned from the radio if it weren't so popular. "Imagine there is no heaven" must really go well in the Bible Belt.

Request "Search and Destroy" from all of the radio stations!!!!

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Maybe it's because the song goes "life goes on..." and they think that's insensitive because poeple died. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

16. maybe it´s supposed to sound like osama bin laden.... :oops:

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, with apologies to the sensitivities of a few others, I'm of the opinion that we need to send a strong message to the world that this type of thing will not be tolerated. This, with the HIGHEST level of intolerance. If countries supporting terrorist behaviors come to find out that the result will most likely be civil war in their countries due to the demise of the present government, well, better them than us.

What's our alternative? Quit sending money to our allies? Apologize to the psycho-religious zealots that drive this senseless murder?

I leave you with two quotes:

"Why can't we all just get along?" ~ petty criminal and fellow California motorist, Rodney King

"We are THE world power." ~ former U.N. Ambassador, Madeline Albright

18. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    JimK, where could I find the list? I need it for a newspaper article.