1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reading Books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassybass, Sep 3, 2008.

1. bassybass

bassybass Guest

Mar 29, 2008
    Hi,
    I'm trying (again) to work on reading notation a bit, and I have these two books:
    "Mel Bay's Complete Jazz Bass Book(by Earl Gately)", and "Music Reading For Bass(by Wendi Hrehovcsik/Musicians Institute Boks)".

These are the books I pull out once every year and a half or so to try and refresh my non-existent reading skills, so invariably, I start from the beginning each time (retention issues . . . ;). The problem is I get gung-ho for a few weeks, and then get busy and just put it aside.

I really like the Wendi Hrehovcsik one---but I've heard that there's another Mel Bay one that's sort of a must-have. Which one would that be?

Thanks!

2. illuminate

illuminate

Aug 20, 2008
    i have the Wendi Hrehovcsik. i don't know about the other book.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think you need to be reading music of things you are likely to play with other people/bands etc.

If it is always just a dry, academic exercise - then you are likely to forget it, or get bored etc.

You have to keep using these skills or you lose them.

Maybe rather than books you need to be looking at joining a group/workshop/jam that reads music regularly and looks at new pieces...?

If that's really not possible - then I think you ought to get sheet music of tunes/songs you like or would like to play - what music do you like - look for sheet music in that style?

4. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    The reading book that has helped me the most is "Sight Reading for the Bass" by Ron Velosky.

You can get it at BassBooks.com.

I have tried several others, but Velosky's book stands heads and shoulders above 'em.

JMHO

5. bassybass

bassybass Guest

Mar 29, 2008
    That is great advice. I just always kind of assumed I wasn't ready for that, but I should just jump in, huh?
    I'd like to play along with anything--I'd love to get the music for classic pop like The Carpenters or Burt Bacharach and pretend I'm Joe Osborn;), bossa nova with Jobim, soundtracks of any kind, jazz standards (but they'd have to be REALLY simple!). Other forms like rock, reggae, etc. I feel I have a grasp on and would prolly never be handed a piece of music for in the real world anyway.
    I guess the trick is finding music where the bass part notated is accurate with what's on a recorded version I can play to for reference.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

"Standing in the Shadows of Motown" is good for that!! :)