Reading Makes Me Very Tired

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Does anyone else have this problem?

It doesn't happen when reading things on the internet, where I am actively typing, scrolling, sitting up straight, and moving my head about. I think it may also have to do with the fact that my computer screen is set to 800x600 so I have large, easy(ish) to read text, and that the computer offers a variety of moving shapes and colors.

But nearly every time I start reading a book that takes even a little thought, my body gets very tired. It doesn't help that I'm legally blind, and therefore have weak eyes and have to read slowly and keep a book held very close to my face. It's always made it difficult to plow through essay and biographical books, and even monographs about artists where the books are filled with colorful pictures (thank god I got my Bachelors in fine art and didn't have much in the way of heavy reading). I still start getting very tired or sleepy after a while. I've been trying to study music theory for some time now, a less-than-exciting subject with a lot of mental concentration involved, and it's been tough.

Anyone else have this issue?
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's very hard for me to stay focused on reading something and come frustrated after 20-30mins or so, but I think I just have a very short attention span.

Only thing with studying that's even partially worked for me is reading a piece, then stepping away to make notes about the stuff I've just read for a minute, then getting back to book. Also, I have to take a break every chapter or so to fiddle with something else. Very slow, but I don't know a better way.
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I had the same problem in school. Turned out my eye muscles were weak. Got reading glasses (for awhile) and had to do some exercises to strengthen them. I can still get worn down from reading but I haven't done those exercises in over 10 years.
  4. Yea. I have a test on "Lord of the Flies" this Thur. and I haven't even read the first page.

I just can't read books. I start falling asleep.

...Unless it's a good book. I could read War of the Worlds all day.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The eyes have it.

It's physically draining to read if you've got serious eye problems...
  6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Get some really, really, really thick glasses. Also, ride a train. Seriously. I rode a train for 30 days this summer, and the longest train ride was 81 hours. I read the whole of Paradise Lost, most of Knut Hamsun's Growth of the Soil, and a book of Sandburg's poetry. Trains, glasses, and good books.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Trust me, my glasses are thick enough. They could double as replacement lenses for the Hubble. NASA has my phone number on speed dial.
  8. hahhhahahaha.
  9. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005

LOL ur my hero!!! I'm sure you're not as bad as me.. I used to love to read, now I can't!!! I read 1/2 a page (No exageration) and I'm physically drained and I need a nap! I WISH I could fix the problem :(
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You draw some really nice pictures for a blind guy. Better than anything I can do with my contacts on. :D

I know what you mean though about getting tired when you read. Same with me. It can be any time of day, and if I start reading, I get sleepy.

11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Stick to the funny pages. They're less taxing on the brain.

brad cook
  12. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    If you've got a thing for good books, do yourself a favour and read Lord of the Flies. Back in the day when I was writing tests on such things I actually read the whole book in the class before the exam. In the end I was pretty upset with myself for not having read it earlier, not because the test was hard but more because it's an excellent book and I just didn't give myself time to appreciate it.

Right up there with To Kill a Mockingbird. Atticus is my hero.

On the topic of difficulty reading, a friend of mine had the same problem up until he hit university. He's a really bright guy, but he had never managed to read a book the whole way through. Once again, as soon as he got glasses everything changed.

Have you thought about books on tape? I suppose it can take away some of the fun, but it's still a good way to get the story.

13. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I was a voracious reader when I was a teenager, but like you guys, I can't get through more than a page or two anymore, much to my chagrin. Takes me forever to plow through a novel.

I think part of the problem is confining reading time to bed time. Unfortunately, time just doesn't present itself during the day. When it does, I can read for a few hours, but that tends to suck the life out of me for the rest of the day.

For some reason, reading the newspaper doesn't have the same effect. I think it's the level of concentration.
  14. Hey Kelly, I was wondering if you could explain some of these exercises to strengthen your eye muscles.
  15. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The opto gave me a piece of window screen and told me to hold it about a foot in front of my face. Then he said to focus on the screen then refocus my eyes (without blinking) to an object more than 10-15 feet past the screen and then back to the screen. Trust me, it is harder than it sounds. A session would really wear me out. I had to do it 20 times each session twice a day.

I stand at a window sometimes now and just do the exercise without even thinking about it. I really should start doing them again.

Guys, if it really is making you that tired, get into your opto and tell him whats going on. Maybe they have new exercises that are better now.