reading music ghost notes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kalo, Aug 11, 2003.

1. kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    I recently purchased a book last Friday called 70's Funk and it does come with a CD. The book has both notation and tab. Being that I am learning to sight read I am paying attention to notation. Even though the CD has the examples of exercises, I would like to know if someone who knows how to read music can help me.

The funk rhythm goes like this

1 2 & 3 & ah 4triplete
    one beat Rest 1/2 beat one beat

My question is on the 3 & ah do I play it all on the one click of my metronome.

Second question on the triplet are Ghost notes and it is a rake. When raking ghost notes going up I am muting the strings with my left hand and when raking up I am using my index finger for all three strings. Is this correct.

As stated when playing to my CD and listening carefully to the example I am playing it correctly, I just want to get my feel down better and make sure I am doing the right techinque...

Thanks, Litsa
  2. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    By "3 & ah" do you mean an 8th note connected to two 16th notes? Yes, that is all played in one beat. To get the feel for that try playing a few measures with your metronome using only that rhythm (1 & ah 2 & ah 3 & ah 4 & ah | 1 & ah 2 & ah 3 & ah 4 & ah | etc...).
  3. kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks Stephanie!!

I figured it out!!! But it is great to know I am doing the count correctly...It feels right as well...Thanks for the info!!