Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

reading music ghost notes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kalo, Aug 11, 2003.

1. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    I recently purchased a book last Friday called 70's Funk and it does come with a CD. The book has both notation and tab. Being that I am learning to sight read I am paying attention to notation. Even though the CD has the examples of exercises, I would like to know if someone who knows how to read music can help me.

The funk rhythm goes like this

1 2 & 3 & ah 4triplete
    one beat Rest 1/2 beat one beat

My question is on the 3 & ah do I play it all on the one click of my metronome.

Second question on the triplet are Ghost notes and it is a rake. When raking ghost notes going up I am muting the strings with my left hand and when raking up I am using my index finger for all three strings. Is this correct.

As stated when playing to my CD and listening carefully to the example I am playing it correctly, I just want to get my feel down better and make sure I am doing the right techinque...

Thanks, Litsa

2. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    By "3 & ah" do you mean an 8th note connected to two 16th notes? Yes, that is all played in one beat. To get the feel for that try playing a few measures with your metronome using only that rhythm (1 & ah 2 & ah 3 & ah 4 & ah | 1 & ah 2 & ah 3 & ah 4 & ah | etc...).

3. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks Stephanie!!

I figured it out!!! But it is great to know I am doing the count correctly...It feels right as well...Thanks for the info!!