1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reading music

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by remcult, Jul 16, 2014.

1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Hi Ant,

Any advice on reading music (besides "practice every day")? I've been at a jazz camp at UNT for the last few days, and it's been discouraging in a few areas, particularly 1. I feel old and talentless (I'm 22) compared to some of these kids (most of them are in early high school), a number of whom are pretty great, though it helps that I can genuinely admire and enjoy their playing, and 2. I can't sight-read as fast as I'd like. Even given some time to go slow and examine a piece or line, I can really only do something that's even the slightest bit complex through repetition.

Thanks for your time. I hope to contact you about lessons in the near future.

All the best

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    'Reading music' is made up of a couple of things that can be addressed separately. There 3 primary things you HAVE to know to read music. A deficiency in anyone if the 3 makes reading music difficult.

1. You HAVE to know the notes on the bass. And I mean KNOW them. Not figure them out really fast.

2. You HAVE to know the notes on the staff.

Those 2 things are constants. 63 years ago the 3rd fret of the E string was a G. 63 years from now the 3rd fret of the E string will be a G.

300 years ago the bottom line in the bass clef staff is that G. 300 years from now it'll be a G.

They are not likely to ever change.

3. You have to know how calculate rhythms. Or better yet, have then memorized.

Have fun at UNT.

peace,
    anthony

Ross Kratter likes this.
  3. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks Ant. Very incisive breakdown. Any suggestions for #3?

4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Of course I do. Just so hard to explain in a text. WAY too much involved.
    ~aw

agt likes this.