Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

reading music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jerryoram, Apr 1, 2001.

1. jerryoram

jerryoram

Feb 7, 2001
    Have been looking for a book on reading want to get away from tabs,please suggest one

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The above book is excellent. I have it and very much like Gately's approach to teaching sight reading by going from position to position.

Another one I feel is very good is:
    "Note Reading Studies for Electric Bass "by Arnold Evans, Mel Bay Publishers, $9.95, PB, 79 pages.

Also, check Bassbooks.com. Click on "Sight Reading" in the "Products" box at the right hand side of the site.. They list several other books on sight reading for bass, but I don't know the books, so I cannot vouch for them.

http://www.bassbooks.com

jo

4. RyldCorborel

RyldCorborel Guest

Mar 12, 2001
    This might sound a bit odd... I learned how to read music a couple of years ago on the Tuba, but when I picked up my bass a couple of months ago, the first thing I did was go to my old sixth grade instructional book. That right there aided my ability to read music and understand it on my bass, and it has increased my talent on it tenfold. The greatest part about it is the lowest note you'll ever see on a Tuba is an "E" so you can start from there too. Alright guys, have fun now.