Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

reading notation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by the mack, Jul 13, 2000.

1. the mack

the mack

Mar 20, 2000
    i just learning how to read sheet music and i have a question...you know the notation for the open "E" string...the stem below the line with the dash thru the stem note.....what note is it when the notation looks like the open "E" symbol but has 2 dashes going thru the stem ?

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Do you mean 2 ledger lines below the bass clef staff? That's low C.

Chris A. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I have all my own teeth!"--Jenn Scott Poulin

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

An excellent book that is bound to help you learning to read the bass clef is "Note Reading Studies for Bass" by Arnold Evans. It is a Mel Bay book and costs only about ten bucks, money well spent. It even includes special drills for 5- and 6-string basses. Jason Oldsted

4. Licketysplit

Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????
    Maybe a low C, what do you mean two dashes?

5. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Maybe it's the music shorthand. Like two dashes on the stem of a whole note means two half notes.

------------------
    "When you die if you're given a choice between pie heaven and regular heaven, I think you should choose pie heaven. It may be a trick, but if it's not, then mmmmmmm boy." -Jack Handy

6. Another good book is SIMPLIFIED SIGHT-READING FOR BASS by Josquin des Pres.
    It starts from the basics and pretty well covers everything!