1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reading tabs for double bass

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by timebandit, May 27, 2011.

1. timebandit

timebandit

May 27, 2011
    Hey peeps ,
    I'm a newbie to playing double bass and was wondering anyone know how to play bass tabs on double bass . would you mainly be playing in half position or 1 st position if the tabs was 1 on the e string ?? If knows of a page that explains this I would be stoked thanks ;)

2. Um, over here we call it "bass clef." Tabs are used by pork-chop players.

In all seriousness, though, you can only help yourself by learning to read music. The advantage is, as you become more and more competent at reading (and familiar with the fingerboard) multiple fingerings will suggest themselves instantaneously upon looking at passage of music. It is then up to you as a player to choose that fingering (or series of fingerings) which is the most ergonomic, and musically appropriate. Sometimes these two are the same thing, sometimes not.

With tablature, you're limited to the fingering notated in the tab. Also, I'm still not convinced that there is an efficient (that is, sight-readable) way of notating rhythm in tab. I know, I know. I'm making the claim from my own experience -- perhaps there is a genius out there who is inventing that system as we speak. Notice though, that standard musical notation has persisted for nigh on half a millenium, basically unchanged. It's a pretty solid system.

3. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    I'm not a tab fan -- I find it harder to read than standard notation for bass, although back in my guitar days it was useful for a time. As far as rhythmic notation goes, the better "tabbers" use similar stems and beams to those used in standard notation. Often, though, the music is just written on parallel staves, with notation on top and tab below.

4. Agreed. Dont waste your time with tabs.

5. timebandit

timebandit

May 27, 2011
    Thanks so much for ur help I normally just listen to stuff and play wat sounds good u guys sound like u know wat ur ate talking about so if anyone would like to some suggest awesome music and or references I would be greatful thanks :)

6. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am going to respectfully suggest to you that your posts will be take more seriously, especially here on the DB side of the forum, if you write properly, using full words and punctuation.

Do you have a teacher? If not, I strongly recommend that you get one and take some lessons so that you can learn the basics of the instrument and avoid bad habits that will impede your progress or even cause you injury.

7. I wish I had enough faith in humanity to be 100% sure the op is troll. In either case I might recommend that neither the double bass or the Internet are for you.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    It's Ken... I know it's Ken.

9. timebandit

timebandit

May 27, 2011
    Sorry my the use of the English language offends you . I had a stroke a few years back and I struggle thanks for the warm welcome . Yes I do have a teacher but thought that if anyone would like to share they could do so .

10. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    trollometer.