Ready Freddie Washington!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MixBass, Aug 25, 2009.

1. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    I got to go see Steely Dan do Royal Scam last night. They did some other greats as well like Aja, Josie, Home at last, etc. And one thing kept hitting me over the head, I'm watching a P-bass Master! Freddie plays the P in such a classic style: solid, with authority, heart of the groove, and with incredible economy and discipline. The guy does not play a note that ain't pocket. To see Freddie play some of those classic grooves like Peg is worth admission in itself. Maximum respect to Freddie!

2. insanely jealous!!! :spit:

:D

Can not wait to hopefully (sooner than later) be able to catch The Dan live and in action. Also, can't wait to pick up Freddie's solo CD!

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  3. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    The Dan show I just saw was great- I keep telling people how great Freddie was. I need to pick up his solo record- got great reviews from the latest BP mag...

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i saw them last tour with Freddie and yeah he kills it!

i love his tone, that thick old school tone. Freddie is a master

5. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
    One of the greats, and oft over looked. My favorite band too. I'm sorely disappointed that they aren't coming close to Portland on this tour. Saw then in 2001 for the 2VN tour, sat 5th row center, any closer and I'd of had to play! That was at the Rose Garden. The saw them at the Gorge at George in 2003 for the Everything Must Go Tour, the saw them at the ampetheatre in 06....seems like I caught them somewhere else in there but can think when.

6. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Just saw him with Steely doing Aja last night. I can't think of any pro bass player I've seen with so much groove in compactness and nothing the least bit flashy. Just solid, in the pocket. Every note counts. Really impressed with Freddie. And one bass the entire night, an old Precision. Two Aguilar Ag500 amps, and 4x10 Aggie cab on top of what looked like a 12 or 212.

7. bottomzone

bottomzone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2005
    Freddie is a master of what all bassists are supposed to do-GROOVE!! That's why he's still in demand!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

8. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    I've always enjoyed his work with Kenny Loggins. In fact he is one of the reasons for my decision to buy a Ken Smith. Singing and playing has always been a task that I have constantly worked on for 25 yrs. Watching him sing those Kenny Loggins' harmonies gives me mucho added respect for him. He is the epitome of what I call a pocket or groove player.

9. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    Saw Freddie last night with Donald Fagen, Michael Mcdonald and Boz Scaggs......awesome!

10. Leo Smith

Leo Smith Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Tonight the Fagan / McDonald / Skaggs show (Dukes of September) rolled into Dayton, OH. A great show all around, and Freddie was ON! Absolutely killer. He played a P-bass all night with an Aguilar rig, and the tone was just righteous! There was a mic on the cabinet, but I couldn't really tell what it was. It wasn't a "regular" bass cab mic, but had the look of an older Beyerdynamic...

They played a mix of Fagan-McDonald-Skaggs hits and soul R&B covers. Freddie wonderfully nailed all the grooves and added just enough flava to make it his own. His takes on Chuck Rainey's Steely Dan lines were top-notch! (Kid Charlemane, for example...)

Go see this show!

11. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    I'm going to try and catch them, they certainly have a body of tunes to draw from. I see your around Dayton, I've played the Dublin Pub a bunch of times. It's a fun place and Steve rules!

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  12. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    They were at Ravinia Festival in Chicago two night ago and WOW! Appears to be many if not all of the backing band that I saw there last year with Steely Dan. Jon Herington (guitar); Freddie Washington (bass); Shannon Forest (drums) Not Keith Carlock like with the Dan; Michael Leonhart, Walt Weiskopf and Jay Collins (horns) and Jim Beard (organ) plus background singers Carolyn Leonhart and Catherine Russell. Amazing show with lots of great music. Boz has still got it after all these years. What a soulful singer and it was great to hear his disco era stuff again. Freddie is amazing!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021