1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ready to make the jump as a... Bassist (I hope.)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by drummer5359, Apr 25, 2016.

1. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I'm a drummer/percussionist, and don't lack for gigs on those instruments. Several years ago I made a commitment to become a serious bassist, I've worked hard to get comfortable on bass. I switch from hand percussion to bass a few times per night in three different acoustic projects that I'm part of. But, that entails playing between three and eight songs per night as a bass player. I have not played bass in a band all night as of yet.

Last night I got a message from a singer/guitarist that I know. He has played in a few bands as a lead guitarist, and would sing lead a few songs per night. He has decided that he wants to be a front man and is looking for players to round out the band. He knows me as a drummer and has seen/heard me play bass in two of the acoustic projects, he knows that I've been working toward playing bass in a band. He called me and we've talked it over. He has a rehearsal room and he wants me as a bassist and to help him assemble the rest of the band.

It will be primarily blues with some classic rock thrown in. I'm excited for the opportunity, but nervous as to whether my bass playing will be up to par. As a drummer I can play at a fairly high level, I'm a decent hand percussionist, but as a bass player I still have doubts and fears.

This should be an adventure.

2. lefthandedmutha

lefthandedmutha

Sep 26, 2008
    Michigan
    Congrats and don't sweat it,
    you've been through it all before with the percussion.
    Feel free to use my own personal mantra. There are no wrong notes, only passing tones

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Blues and rock? You got this with your eyes closed!

Also, there's my personal mantra. "It's close enough for rock and roll." :cool:

Grip it and rip it. Have fun. We expect a full first gig report within 72 hours of the aforementioned first gig!

The Funkapotamus and Remyd like this.
  4. You will either be able to do it, or not. If you can, go for it. If you are a decent musician, then you can transfer fairly easily with a bit of effort. I used to work with David Hawkins, who plays in Steve Harris's spin-off British Lion band. Take one look at him and he's a waily guitarist. However a few years ago, he stopped playing guitar and decided to become a drummer - and on top of that, a reading drummer. He worked hard at it and became a damn fine drummer in a really amazing range of styles. Then he went back to guitar and joined up with Steve Harris. As their tours are in chunks, the rest of the time he started to get a bit bored again so decided to learn bass, and again, read it too. He's a really useful guy to have around. It just takes time and effort. Go for it.

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Go for the bass gig.
    Your drumming experience will serve you well.
    Sounds like a bass gear shopping spree is in your future

6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    No big deal. So you've been playing about 8 songs per night? The only difference between what you have been doing and what you will be doing is about 35 songs. Seriously, not a problem.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Agreed. If you can play, you can play. The only difference between playing half an hour and playing three hours is endurance, and you've been playing drums, so you have that. Have fun with the new gig!

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  8. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Here is how I understood your comment:
    You are a serious and mature musician who is gigging(!) a lot.:thumbsup:

Several years, not 6 months, not one year, but SEVERAL YEARS.:bassist:

After several years of hard working on bass, you've become a serious (!) bassist.:hyper:

In short, besides being a serious bass player with several years of training/experience, you can easily switch between the different instruments.
    It's called, a multi-instrumentalist, and it's a pretty high level of musicianship in my world.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now,
    you are a serious and gigging drum player (that's for sure), and a (serious) bass player with several years of training/experience.
    Please tell me this (just from your experience):
    What is the difference if the band plays 8 songs (like Katy Perry's band during the Super Bowl half-time show) and, let's say, 13 songs?
    Does the drum player is LOST and disintegrates after playing at the PRO level 8 songs?:confused: o_O

A serious singer (!) and a good guitar player (WHO KNOWS YOU, WHO LIKES YOU AS A BASS PLAYER, as a team member) wants to create, establish a new band and, therefore, offered you a place in the band.
    What's more, it's not just some "one-night" jam/gig, but a SERIOUS PROPOSAL from a singer/guitar player to compose, to arrange, new songs, and he has a REHEARSAL ROOM for that purpose.

I'm still trying to understand your posting, or your hidden question.o_O :confused: :help:

9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Thanks guys.

I guess that I just have a bit of a confidence issue. I'm known around here primarily as a drummer and then as a percussionist. Only a few musicians outside of those who I play with have heard me on bass. I am flattered that this gentleman has called on me for this gig.

When I switch to bass on hand percussion gigs it is for a few songs at a time, then I get to go back to my comfort zone, playing percussion. On this gig I will not be able to switch instruments, I'll be holding down the bass all night. Previously I would play up to eight over the course of three sets.

I can handle the technical aspects, and this is what I've been wanting to do for years.

Thank you all for the vote of confidence.

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021