1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ready to move on

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by KingRazor, Dec 24, 2011.

1. So I've been learning bass for nearly 4 years but nearly all the songs I know are Christian Contemporary.

That style of music for the most part has pretty simple bass lines. There are a few that get a little crazy (the bridge on "Salvation Is Here" from Hillsong is still a little beyond my ability).

But I'd like to spread out and look into other styles of music. Especially ones where there's a little bit more left hand movement going on.

Where should I look for sheet music? My ear isn't quite good enough to play without it. What genres should I look into? Jazz? Blues? Really I'd like to learn a little bit of everything. Just not sure where to look.

2. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Well, I'm not sure how you feel about regular rock music, but tune into your local classic rock station and your local jazz station and see what you like. As for sheet music, I'd recommend kicking off your process by following chord symbols rather than only reading notes. This should open your ears up more, and allow some freedom in discovering some creativity.

3. I'm used to playing off chord charts, that's what I've been using from the beginning.

The radio plays a lot of crappy music and I don't have a good radio to listen to anyway.

4. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Motown and funk are what I'd recommend. There are a few books with motown transcriptions. Hal Leonard also has the r&b and funk bass bible books with transcriptions.I play mostly contemporary Christian myself. Learn some Isreal Houghton songs. Good stuff in there, but doubt you'd find it in print.

5. Thanks, I'll have to look some of those books up on Amazon.