Ready to start gigging?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Gabe, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I've gotten to the point where I think I'm musically capable of playing with a group that gigs for money. I've played only with "non-profit" chamber orchestras so far. I really only have experiance playing classical ub and cello. Do any groups have call for these instruments that would not take to much of a transition.

There are some other reasons I'm not sure gigging is feasable: 1)I'm only 14, no drivers liscense. 2)I've got school and baseball team responsibilities and will likely be attending a residential charter high school next year, about 2 hours from my home.

So, Is gigging something I ought to look into?
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Hiya, Gabe. Greetings from the southland.

You're ready to gig any time somebody wants to hire you AND you can play the book musically. If they're buyin' I am tryin' is the essential modality. Being 14 is not necessarily an hindrance, although it is rarely an asset. Somebody can give you a ride. But ultimately, your goal is to gain performance experience, not to amass a vast fortune by playing every wedding in the County.

Common performance opportunities for young bass-players might include contra-dances, shows, community orchestras and bands, churches and the like. Of course, in many areas, there would be the school orchestra or band, regional orchestra/band, all-state etc. Perhaps your school music-teacher has some suggestions.

Opportunities may be limited in the T2R6 metropolitan area but make the best of it. Baseball is great, but musical activity is the essence of non-competitive teamwork.

Good luck!
  3. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Thanks for the advice and support. :)
  4. Mr. RC

Mr. RC

Oct 31, 2002
    New York, NY
    I'd just like to add to what Samual said. I'm also a young bass player and good a good amount of jazz work (at least one or two gigs a week). I really started getting work playing with guys my age at parties, clubs and whatever else we could do. Eventually older guys started getting me for gigs with on their gigs at clubs, other venues, and in jam sessions. The main thing to do is to work on your playing and get yourself out there to let people see what you can do. Also try to work on some jazz chops because there's always work for good jazz bassists. Also try to get in good with someone who works a lot on you instrument. I've gotten a lot of gigs because someone had two on the same day.