Ready to start modeling...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TheTechnical, Oct 16, 2006.

1. TheTechnical

TheTechnical

Sep 4, 2006
    I've been revamping and changing this and that on my design pretty frequently in the last week or two.

The specs:

32" scale
    2 jazz pups
    active/passive selector
    2 vol/1 tone
    Headless
    Ash, chambered
    Neck thru (maple) (should I go with a laminated neck?)
    looking at an overall length of about 38ish" body is at it's widest around 13"

basically I was looking at making it not too huge but mostly focusing on comfort (standing and sitting) and weight. The upper wing's armest end is pretty large and angled down to make the arm rest there a little more comfortably.

Please let me know of any criticisms or suggestions, as this is my first design/build.

The basic rough design is in the attachment (ignore little thing by the knee cutout, just an idea for incorporating a pickholder, but i really have no use for picks)

My next step is going to be modeling the body size and shape with some foam or something I can really work with easily.

Attached Files:

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    It's unique, that's for sure. :D

Although it's not my style, I can get behind most of it but that weird hooked lower horn just annoys me.

Upper horn's short of the 12th fret, but headless loses some weight so you'd probably be ok for balance.

interesting!

3. TheTechnical

TheTechnical

Sep 4, 2006
    Thanks, yeah I made the horn like that because I figured I could balance it out. Once I model it with some foam or something I'll have a better feeling for the comfort factor. I'm trying to make it unique and innovative (hard to do) as possible since its for a school design project.

4. Zoot H Rollo

Zoot H Rollo Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA
    hmmm...i smell a 3D challenge.

:)

f

5. TheTechnical

TheTechnical

Sep 4, 2006
    haha tell me about. lucky i have cad. not so lucky my 3D cad skills are... well. Mediocre.

6. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
  7. TheTechnical

TheTechnical

Sep 4, 2006
    oh, and what would the +/- be on doing a laminated neck vs just one piece of maple? does the work involved balance the benefits? time is limited. i'll have from about christmas or early december until april to get this thing built

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021