Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

real book online?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Does anyone know if the real book is on line?
    thanks,
    jeff

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Okay, I have an experimental version of it up on my website and it's based on BIB charts.

Real Book Charts

It's still a little rough, but it does the basic job of giving you the chords.

3. Must of just started working today.

Must be one of those up and down sites.

4. I'm not sure - I know there was a site with it on a while ago now that disappeared but the site I pasted has been going ok for about 2-3 months now?

Anyway - it worked yesterday :)

Dean

5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Here's a site with lots of online charts including many that aren't in the Real Book.

No guarantees on the quality of transcription. Actually, I suppose you can return the chart to the website for a full refund ;>

http://guitar-primer.com/Charts/index2.html

6. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Ed you can order it at the link given by deanobg above. Click on the British flag for English text.

7. robw

robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
  8. dan price

dan price

Mar 24, 2000
  9. robw

robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    That's quite a link! I just paid $40 for that, and your link is a .pdf of the whole book.

Ed, thanks for the info. This will be my first gig using the real book, and I don't know most of these songs. I was hoping the bass version would give me the gist of the bass line rather than the melody. I do need to start improving my treble clef reading. This weekend I should get a chance to look at both bass and treble Real Books; maybe I'll exchange mine.

Anyone else's comments on which book is more useful as a bassist would be appreciated.

10. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    You'll have a good time. The Real Book, for all its many faults, helped define the Standard Canon and remains an efficient guide to the Standard Canon.

Just remember: Do whatever it takes to keep listening and not read all night. One trick that works for me is to put the book on the floor. It makes it much easier for me to look up, get my head out of the book and listen.

Nope. The RB is no help there. Use the RB as something for developing musicianship as opposed to a bass-playing text. With that in mind, Ed's comments are on the mark: I feel you're better off buying the treble-clef book. My $0.02

11. I agree with Ed. I bought RB-I (bass version) and was mortified (to the tune of $35 :( ) to find that it contained the tunes transposed down to the bass clef - like you, I'd expected there to be bass-lines already worked out and waiting to be played (some chance! :) ) - anyway, as Ed points out, being able to read the treble (G) clef - is a (very) Good Thing indeed...

- Wil

12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    While reading treble clef is a good thing, I found for me the bass clef version of the real book made the melodies of the tunes more accessible to me since my treble clef skills at the time were pretty much non-existant.

13. Mappl

Mappl

Aug 30, 2007
    Hi, I know that the charts are available to download and then print from sheetmusicdirect.com