1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Real Book: R&B/Soul version?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ElMon, Aug 9, 2012.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Always have been curious if there ever was an R&B/Soul fake book similar to the ones commonly seen in jazz scenes? When I have the time of course it's invaluable to pick all that genius up by ear, but for quick reference would be handy to have.

If so, what guy do I need to talk to and what's the secret handshake??

:bag:

2. Good question. I've always wondered where's the real book for
    all the non-jazz tunes. There are other real books out there.
    For example, you can get a Beatles Fake Book.
    Perhaps the problem is that there are just too many songs out
    there. Which songs would go into the book?

3. One other note: I use iReal b on an iPad and on my Mac.
    It is essentially an electronic Real Book. They have a website
    with many tunes that can be downloaded into the app. Perhaps
    they have the R&B/Soul tunes you are looking for.

4. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Good points. I was curious if any older musicians remember anything like that floatin around.

5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Have the iRealb app, and it's great, BUT.....

Not enough Earth Wind and Fire/Teddy P/Motown/Curtis Mayfield/Impressions/etc.

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    There is a R&B fake book. I have one. What's funny, is I've owned it for a few years and don't remember the last time I opened it. I don't know if there is a digital edition

7. tomasjochmann

tomasjochmann

Aug 10, 2012
    There are a lot of R&B and Soul tunes in The New Real Book. The New Real Book is also the best real book ever!

8. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    Back in the day, fake books were notorious for being drastically wrong. Which is what spawned the RealBook.

Nowadays it's different. There might be some flaws, but most fake books today are generally correct. And if they aren't, it's usually a mere substitution or something. They might put the entire song in a different key, but as a musician that's no obstacle for you... right??

9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Never saw one, and if there ever was one I'm not sure how useful it would be, seeing as (to my ear at least) R&B/Soul is so much about the arrangements as well as the tunes themselves. Putting those tunes into lead sheet form would overlook most of their identity imho.

otoh, if you already knew the tunes and their signature licks/hooks, and just needed a reminder of the basic chord changes, I suppose it could work.

Speaking of R&B/Soul "standards", about 10 years ago someone told me that if I never wanted to be out of work again, all I had to do was learn every tune on the Millenium Funk Party compilation.

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I wouldn't characterize it as "a lot" but there are some in volume 3. The R&B Fake Book has some good tunes in it.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  12. I'm wondering if this is due to the fact that more musicians rely on them today then they did back 20 or 30 years ago. I don't remember them being around or relied on back when I was young, but I wasn't involved with many professional level players.

I think players of yore relied more on sheet music and home-made charts. The few gigs I had as a teenaged fill-in back around 1990 or so would typically just thrown hand-written charts and expect me to keep up. However, I only had 2 or 3 of those way back then...

Anyone been around long enough to know?