Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

real books are legal now

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by armybass, Feb 2, 2005.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    now we just need them to hurry up with the bass version

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    IIRC, "real" books have been legal the whole time -- "fake" books are the ones that aren't/weren't.

3. Does this mean you can download it for free?

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Cool, huh?

The Real Book is a specific book of jazz transcriptions done by some Berkeley students in the 1970s. It is a fake book (it allows you to fake your way through a tune you don't really know), the title is a play on words. It's always been illegal.

No. You can buy it from Hal Leonard though.

http://www.halleonard.com/item_detail.jsp?itemid=00240221

5. Yeah, but with tunes missing. At least they didn't ruin the font and layout.

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Which tunes are missing?

I have the fifth edition... I was thinking about looking at getting a legit copy because of the errors in the Real Book, but if there's tunes missing...

7. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    "A Foggy Day" for one. That is my favorite tune and it is missing in the new Legal Version of The Real Book.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Whatcha gonna do about your name, scott? ;)

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Not to pick nits, but BERKLEE, not Berkeley. Boston, not California.

To each his own, certainly, but why bass clef? They're not going to be written where they sound (ie all above the staff). If you want to do a session and run off some tunes for the other cats, you're going to have to run around and find a treble clef version to make copies from. In a "controlled" situation like school or military band where pretty much everybody will have their own maybe it's OK. But I haven't been to a session where cats bring books. If you want to do a tune that you think most folks don't know, you bring a copy of the treble clef lead sheet for everybody. Bb instruments tarnspose, Eb instruments transpose, and hey, as a bass clef instrument, if I want to cop the melody, I transpose.

But that's just me, I guess.

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Oops. Knew where it was, just not how to spell it.

11. great, now my real book smuggeling days are over... :(

I suppose I could start forgeing real books and selling them at a reasonable profit for myself, and asosiates...

12. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Hey Jon, can you edit it? Can you add Ret. to it........LOL.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, I saw one, and I asked the store owner why he had it on the counter. He said "it's okay, they're legal now, but the old ones are better, they're back here" and I had to laugh. I'm using the 5th edition and AFAIK, it's the standard.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got a Bass Clef Real Book - it's the "AB Real Book" .

So - this stands for Associated Board (of the Royal Schools of Music)- which is the official music examiner in the UK - Jazz education came onto the syllabus for music and they produced their own Real Book, with the help of a lot of UK Jazz pros who are also teachers.

[​IMG]

http://www.jazzwise.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=1195

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Never saw any use for a bass clef book either. Treble clef all the way, transposed as needed. Though of course if there's a very distinct and specific bass part that's not a snap to pick up, it's nice to have the bass part *in addition* to the treble clef melody. Sorta the way the Sher books tend to do it.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The book I mentioned above, is aimed at horn players who read Bass Clef : like Trombone,Tuba etc. - not DBers - so they can play the melody.

I thought it would be a good idea to buy the book as it was compiled by a lot of the teachers I work with in the UK and it has some interesting material and arrangements - they had Eb,Bb and Bass Clef versions in the shop - so I bought the latter! :)

It is good fun to practice at home by picking out a tune and playing a melody for a change, rather than just practicing bass lines all the time....? :)

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Oh yeah, a bass clef book is the right thing for tuba players et al.

I agree about it being good fun to play the melodies ... but generally I just read the treble clef melodies and transpose them mentally. That way I only need one copy of a book for all purposes.:)

18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I swear to gyawd I thought that was an Ab Real Book.

19. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I gave my books away..I have everything on cdr now...I just take my laptop with me to those kinds of gigs.