Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Real cheap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by villakid 93, Feb 5, 2006.

1. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    Does anyone know where you can find really cheap bass' which you can resell for a profit? GBP please £:hyper:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you can buy a bass and resel for profit, wouldnt everyone be doing it?

3. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    But do you know where any decent websites are??

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not where you can buy basses and resell them for more, no, not that i know of. That doesnt make sense to me.

ebay is the only thing thats possibly useful for that.

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Question is...if you bought a cheap bass and did resell it at a profit, how much profit would you be looking at?

6. there are only two ways i can think of that you could buy a bass and sell that same bass at a profit...
    1. become a dealer
    2. buy a cheap bass, upgrade the heck out of it, and then sell it for 50 pounds more...

7. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    But I don't know how to upgrade it or nowt

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Musical instruments are NOT much of an investment- not until you get into vintage stuff. They're particularly bad if you're looking for a quick turnover. If there was a website where you could buy said basses cheap, why on earth would people go to you to pay more for them when they could get them from the same site?

The only way I know of that you can make a profit at this sort of thing would be to buy a brand that is inexpensive to your locality, and then sell it to those in a different country where they have to pay vast amounts more for the same bass. Sell it at less than their price but more than your price.

But in all honesty, you're better off looking into other venues for quick profit.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Most of the time this can make your bass lose value- many view mods to lessen resale value.

10. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    OK I'm gonna stick to selling hot-dogs at gigs! lol :)

11. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Do your homework. Have a look on Ebay at the entry level basses and see what they are selling for ( I think you are in the UK right?). Then check your local papers and look for websites (local or otherwise) that sell musical instruments. Keep in mind however that even if you find one online, once you factor in shipping you might end up paying what the actual market value of the bass is. Sometimes you can stumble across someone who wants to offload a bass for cheap.......

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Seriously, that's a much better investment. A six-pack is $2, and you can sell them at $2.50 each. :)

13. but if i buy an Essex and upgrade the pickups, bridge, tuners, controls and whatever else could be upgraded, you don't think the value would increase at all?

14. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I sold a couple of those $199 shipped Peavey Fury 6QT's (minus 12% EBates discount) on Ebay for $299 plus shipping...

:bag:

15. I don't think you will get more $$ back than the ammount of $$ dollars you have spend on the sx and the upgrades.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    From what I've seen of the sales values of modded Essexes, it would be very little if at all, and most likely less than what you paid for the bass and the parts.

17. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    the only way i can think of is to become a dealer, like superbassman2000 said, or to find one of those uber disgustingly good deals when places have uber disgustingly good blowouts (like the Peavey Fury's Diggler mentioned).

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The real way to do this is to put in the time.

To find instruments cheap you have to be hittin' the yardsales, estate sales, put ads in local papers and spend a lot of time weeding out the crap. You have to know your instruments in detail, know what condition does to resale, and know what instruments are in demand. You have to know that some instruments that look like crap aren't. And you better be good at judging things like necks, action and electronics...and know how to fix things that are worth fixing.

19. true, but the question was, can i buy a bass, and then sell it for more...which you can...not necessarily a net profit, but i am willing to bet i could buy an SX for 119 dollars, throw in some barts, BA bridge, new tuners and strings, and i could sell it for 125 dollars...instant profit! ;)