Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Real computer people...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mattsk42, Feb 21, 2006.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I took the 2 year Cisco program in high school, and passed with like a "C" or better all the way through. I did NOT take the CCNA. Does this count towards anything in getting a job, or do they not really look at it until you take the CCNA? Also, with this, 3 years non-graduated of college, and an A+, what kind of yearly salary/jobs would you expect and how would you go out and get one? Thanks.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I am the IT dept. for a med. size company, so I guess I'm a real computer person.

In my experience, experience counts a lot; certs are also a good thing, and almost finished things do not help at all.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    For the most part, employers look for skills instead of letters next to your name.

I have a buttload of certs, and they alone have never got me a job. Well, this job I have now came to me over one other guy because of my CCNA. But again, it was because I could do the job. Don't rely on certs, get hands on skills.

-Mike

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, Josh don't fake on front street. :D

-Mike

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Only with medical advice. :ninja: :D :bag:

6. mattsk42

I do have quite a bit of real world experience, but I don't have any for a real company. Well, one I guess. But I've done installs and upgrades and fixes, etc. on numerous computers over the last 8+ years. So.... what should I look for in a job, and what kind of salary would be ok assuming I get the A+ core? Thanks!

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    --build a techies resume, in other words, very to the point. List skills, projects, that kind of thing. I was striking out for a while until I did this.

I have no idea what A+ salaries are in your area. Look for a local job website with a salary guide.

8. TechZilla

TechZilla

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    It's all about getting your feet wet. Certifications are great but it's just a piece of paper and the people that will decide to hire you or not understand that fully. If it's possible for you get something entry level that will allow you to gain some real "real world" experience that will help a lot.

BTW. I took my A+ on Windows 3.1 It hasn't made any difference for me in the last 100 years so don't count on it too much.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    $10-12 an hour.

-Mike

10. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    In this arena, a detailed resume can be a good thing. Hell, mine is 8 pages.

Certs help, but as others said not all employers want a "paper tech".. No offense.
    On the other hand, some companies have the red tape of hiring "paper techs" and have to leave the techs from the school of "hard knocks" out.

If you need company experience, look into some part-time volunteering. The library in your city, for example might allow IT people to volunteer to get some experience on their resume. Or you can always start out doing CSR stuff. Nightmarish, yes but it is a start.

Your mileage may vary.

DCat,

11. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I picked up a 3 year B. Sc. in computer science on top of my primary degree but I don't consider myself a "real computer person". The main reson for that is I don't spend my time doing and learning all things computers, I just figure out what I need to get a specific project done. In my opinion, experience is by far the most important factor, but it can be hard to convince a potential employer that your lack of certification isn't a detriment.

As for salary, I have no idea (being a Canadian and working in a different field). Good luck on your hunt, though.

-Nate

12. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    In my experience managing and consulting on Help Desks, there is a way that certs help.

When staffing a project, the hiring manager is usally given a stack of resumes. If he's lucky, they have been pre-qualified. Some firms use a computer database to sort the resumes they receive. One way to sort them is by Certifications achieved.

If they havn't been pre-screened, then a hiring manager has to screen them to see who they are going to interview. Achieved certifications are one quick way way to do it.

It's only after there's not enough certified candidates that a hiring manager may go back and see who among the uncertified have the relevant experience desired.

YMMV.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Those are the type I toss to the side. Who has time to read all of that? :D

-Mike

14. mattsk42

Cool thanks. What are your guys' jobs called?

15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Certifications certainly can go a long way in some companies, others look at experience.

I now have MCSA/MCSE, CCNA + Cisco WiFi certification and it certainly doesn´t look bad to have that on your resume.
    (still working on my CCNP...)

My job title is both System administrator and Network administrator since I do both Microsoft servers and Cisco stuff.

16. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    If your in college get any internship you can get your hands on, seriously, its that important. CCNA and A+ WILL help you do this, they look good, but you don't need them to get the internship, which may only pay 7-10 an hour. And you may be stuck in the server room making Cat 5 patch cables listening to fans all day for a couple months.

But when you graduate thats when the worth comes in. Starting salary around 50k - 100k depending on what your area of expertise is and where you live.

But yeah, CCNA may not be that big, but if you have a CCIE you can pretty much demand any salary you want, because theres like 10 in the country. The MCSD and MCSA are good if your company wants to bring in projects.

And seriously, get yourself a good resume and cover letter. Go on monster every other day, and bring your resume to the school internship office. Seriously, I struck out about 15 times before finding a good job, but then I did. And it was seriously worth the trouble.

Oh by the way I'm an Assistant Systems Engineer.

Where's my 2 cents?

17. mattsk42

Here, have 2 dollars! :D Thanks!

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I chose not to pursue my CCNA despite straight A's in those courses. Just to live a life where I deal with people instead of computers. Or people who think they know what they're doing and break everything.

19. mattsk42

I don't get it. And that didn't really answer anything from my question, so I REALLY don't get it. :confused:

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just my whole view on the CCNA certification.