Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Real ElricK?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by progplayer, Feb 18, 2002.

1. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I've been looking into Ritters and Elricks as my next investment. I've stumbled onto two Ritters but the price range does not suit me. Even used. I thought I was gonna have a deal on my hands with one Ritter but the person backed out on me last minute :mad: oh well right?

I then looked into Elricks. Almost the same deal. I met one guy online that has a soild color Elrick 4-string (Light Blue) and a local store near me that has a used Elrick Bolt-on Gold Series 5 string. The 5'er is a real looker. Burled Maple Top, Wenge Neck,Ebony Fretboard - incredible looking. It has the Bart pups/preamp, etc... $1,900 for it. While negotiating price I told the guy that I could get an Elrick 4 string for $900 from an online dealer (well its a private owner and it is only 4 strings but...) and this guy told me that the soild color Elricks are not the same. He says the solid color Elricks are of a different breed that were made in 1998. I was getting the impression that they were not made in the states or they weren't made by Elrick? I'm most likely wrong and the salesman was most likely trying to get me to buy his Elrick but...... Anyone know anything about this? Thanks guys...

2. Remember that silver one from gguitars that was selling for pretty cheap? I remember reading someone said "E-mail me for the story on this bass", so I presume that there is some story. It looked nice and the price was right.

3. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Yeah I know the Silver one but I'm not about to ask G Guitars about a story, ahahahahahahahaha. I'll do some more research on the 'net....

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Solid color Elricks seem to have less value in the marketplace. I don't know that it's due to quality, tone, workmanship, or materials. My guess is that when you buy a hand-crafted instrument, you tend to get woods that you can see and appreciate. Why cover up a good wood?

Quite simply, you'd cover it up because it's not pretty to look at. Does that mean it's not just as good feeling or sounding as any other instrument out there?

I don't think so;)

5. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well the used Elrick Gold Series 5 string is making me go nuts (GAS) man. It sounded sooooooo insane and it looks hot. I have seen that silver solid color Elrick at G Guitars and on ebay a few times already and its been kicking around for at least 6 months. This guy that is selling his "baby blue" solid color Elrick has been trying for over a year he said. Its just strange Elrick would paint these basses with "odd colors". But I'm just curious if there is a difference in quality or were these basses made somewhere else?????? Thus the lower price. I was considering buying the "baby blue" Elrick for $900 but.... it looks kind of well yucky :eek: just a strange color. So I said forget it.... I'm looking more into the used 5'er more seriously now. Got to get a deal...

thanks guys.

[edit] the other thing was are solid color elricks hand crafted?

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    To my knowledge, Rob Elrick is the only one who's built any Elricks. He's been talking about licensing out the Elrick name to an overseas factory, but has said that he doesn't want overseas clones of his current production lines: he wants them to be different.

Also to my knowledge, this licensing deal has not yet taken place. I'd have to believe that any Elrick was made by Rob Elrick.

Furthermore, Rob doesn't have any helpers in his shop: he builds them all himself, unlike some of the other boutique builders.

7. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    thanks for the info guys. i didn't find anything on the solid color elricks, actually there is NOTHING out there. all the elricks I have run across are the nice lookers. oh well, i'm gonna bargin with this guy selling the 5'er and see if i can make a deal....i hope.

thanks for the info guys. i guess this sales guy is well just being a sales guy.....

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  9. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Actually that looks similar to the one the guy is selling for $850 now. Its more sea blue color and the body is the gold series bolt on. That pic of that bass is actually a lot better looking. The solid color bolt ons look real plain.... i am still working on that gold series 5'er bolt on....almost at the right price, almost....

10. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Rob is "into" wood. What I've noticed with the solid color basses are that they're either alder or tulipwood, but without exotic tops. Depending on the sound you want, that may not be bad.

By the way Tumbao, why post that bass? There are some other good pic's of NAMM basses that may still be for sale. That bass shown is the one I traded my Lakland for.

:D

11. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well the guy selling the solid color baby blue Elrick Gold Series 4 string gave me the low down on the bass. He says he bought the bass used in November 2001 for $900. He says the bass sounds good and is in near mint condition but in all honesty he feels it does NOT sound as distinct as a "real elrick". He told me the sales guy back then was trying real hard to get rid of the "baby blue" because they had held onto it for a long time and they had money tied up from it. So they made him an incredible deal and he bought it. I asked him why he wants to sell it already and his simple response was, "I put a deposit down on a Quantum 5 and I need to pick it up by next weekend". He actually has tons of people interested in the bass because the price he is selling it at is now only $750. I told him for that price I'd buy it but he put me on the list.....THE LIST!?!?!?!?!?!???????????? Man I think I lost out on a deal of a lifetime damn it!

:(

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I was looking at that bass too, Sammy. I bought the red NJS from them, only to find out it was more purple than red;)

13. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well I lost out on the Baby Blue Elrick, the guy emailed me and said its sold. $700. I don't get him, I told him I would pay $750 for it but he don't care. argh:mad: !

I'm off to the store to negotiate price on that other Elrick. I am hoping $1,500 (wishful thinking) but we'll see.... we left off at $1650

14. Funny, the bass in the picture from the Erlcik site that you have a link to in your .sig used to be mine! If the one you're trying to buy is anything like that, it's a fantastic bass--good luck!

Mike

15. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well I'm still mad about that dood that sold his Elrick for $700. Man that is a freakin' deal if u ask me. :mad:

Well the bass listed in my sig. almost looks the same as the one I'm about to buy! The wood is not as highly figured as the one in the sig. but its close. There is a huge ding on the bottom of the bass near the jack so that sux. But I used that as leverage on the negotiations. There is also a ding on the headstock that is sort of big. Other than that the finish is a looker and no dings/scratches anywhere else. The board looks good and the frets are fine. I think the previous owner was a slap/popper but anyhow down to $1,550:cool: