1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Real Fake Jazz Book - which one?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Octaves, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    We just want a standard real jazz book to guide us on chord progressions (standards) for our band.

I saw this on another thread. Is this the most common? Does it come with a CD? http://www.amazon.com/Real-Book-Bass-Sixth-Edition/dp/0634060767

Are there any other recommendations? Just want to keep it simple as jazz standards are used to fill in.
    Cheers.

2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

That is the most common. It does not come with a CD, nor does any Real Book or fake book that I'm aware of. Youtube is your friend here. Don't be surprised if chords aren't exactly the same on recorded versions. The pros tend to change things up a bit. But this is a book that many, many jam sessions are based on, and is entirely worth owning.

Here's another good one to have. (No bass clef edition though, unfortunately)
    http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Real-...&qid=1381099865&sr=8-1&keywords=new+real+book

3. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    Thanks Bassist4Eris, appreciate it. Think I will get the Amazon one. We're not pros by any means, but the others are more than capable of this (and I will just have to keep up!).

Cheers ;)

4. I have the first one mentioned and it has enough to keep me busy for years to come.

Be aware the bass clef is, in most cases, the melody, not what you would need for playing an accompaniment bass line. It is in lead sheet format so you do have the chord names, and I think that is what you are really after.

Well worth the small amount of money it costs.

5. On all the standards gigs I do in my area, the Hal Leonard Real Books are more common to find than the Sher ones.

But if it's just for use in your band, you could just pick whichever has the most tunes you like.

It's also worth noting that PDF files of both of these fake book series are floating around the internet. You could find these and then check them out before picking which version to buy in hard copy. You might prefer the formatting or chord changes in one over the other.

6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
  7. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Real Book and Real Book II all the way (in bass clef). I correct the songs as I go through it as some of the chords are incorrect, but between the two volumes, they cover a lot of ground! Good luck finding these as they aren't really "legal" though.

8. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I prefer the treble clef version, since I don't usually play the melody, and it makes it easier to share with my fellow musicians - as long as they don't play one of those funny non-C instruments ... ;)

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Be aware that some people who have been playing a while will probably have the 5th edition. They're approximately 95% identical but there will be tunes in both books that aren't in the other. Also, some chords are different between the two.

10. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    Thank you everyone. I think I'll definately get the Amazon version, I think it's the Hal Leoard one, as I like the format. Really only after the chords at this stage ;)

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    And some people, who have been playing awhile, don't use any edition. If someone in the band has the skills, it's not unheard of to take both the melody and harmony off a recording.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Does anyone in the group play jazz regularly? What are you using standards to "fill in" between?