Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Real" G&L vs "Tribute?"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    OK...
    I bought a G&L L2000E fretless in 1981, and I love the darn thing to death. It plays like a dream, has tone for days in many great incarnations...but:
    I'm mostly a 5 string guy now (when I'm not paying DB).

2 part question:
    a) Are the G&L Tributes a quality axe? Where are the shortcuts? In other words, what am I likely to sacrifice buying Tribute instead of "real" G&L?
    b) I've not seen a Tribute fretless (4 or 5)...is there such a thing?

thanks,
    chef

2. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I dont think the tributes are made fretless. Well at least i haven't seen any. You may be able to custom order them but they are made in korea, so i dont know about that.

The tribute and real G&L have similar tone but different feels to them. Different quality in materials and whatnot. Your gonna feel where those extra few hundred bucks went when you play a real G&L.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You know whats cool is the ASAT 5 strings i have seen over on the pit.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I would go all gaga over a fretless ASAT-5 hollowbody, point me to one of you ever hear of such a thing!

I've never seen an ASAT-5...

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've played the "real" G&L and Tribute models side-by-side, and I have to say they're up there with Lakland and Spector as the best import models compared to the US counterparts... I believe the hardware, electronics, and possibly wood is the same as the US models, and the only major difference is the overseas construction.

Yes, there will be a difference in feel/tone/intangables. I suppose it all depends on how sensetive you are to those factors. To me, they're a great value/cost ratio.