1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Real" G&L vs "Tribute?"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    OK...
    I bought a G&L L2000E fretless in 1981, and I love the darn thing to death. It plays like a dream, has tone for days in many great incarnations...but:
    I'm mostly a 5 string guy now (when I'm not paying DB).

2 part question:
    a) Are the G&L Tributes a quality axe? Where are the shortcuts? In other words, what am I likely to sacrifice buying Tribute instead of "real" G&L?
    b) I've not seen a Tribute fretless (4 or 5)...is there such a thing?

thanks,
    chef

2. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I dont think the tributes are made fretless. Well at least i haven't seen any. You may be able to custom order them but they are made in korea, so i dont know about that.

The tribute and real G&L have similar tone but different feels to them. Different quality in materials and whatnot. Your gonna feel where those extra few hundred bucks went when you play a real G&L.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You know whats cool is the ASAT 5 strings i have seen over on the pit.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I would go all gaga over a fretless ASAT-5 hollowbody, point me to one of you ever hear of such a thing!

I've never seen an ASAT-5...

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've played the "real" G&L and Tribute models side-by-side, and I have to say they're up there with Lakland and Spector as the best import models compared to the US counterparts... I believe the hardware, electronics, and possibly wood is the same as the US models, and the only major difference is the overseas construction.

Yes, there will be a difference in feel/tone/intangables. I suppose it all depends on how sensetive you are to those factors. To me, they're a great value/cost ratio.