1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Real Life LM II story, with Berg cabs..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blah114, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    You can all move this thread if it's already been done.. I am stating this quickly, so I can convey my "real life" Little Mark II experience from SAT.. I played a smaller/medium club.. we had.. 175 people there.. I guess, for me, this is a large club.

I did a search and could not find anything about this..

The guys went via PA for everything but me.. vocals, guitar, miced the drums also.. I did not go DI out..

I had two 12" cabinets, both Bergantinos.. one's an EX112S.. another is a HT112.. I stack the ht112 atop the EX112S.. I keep its horn like @ 5%..

Here were my LM II settings:
    Gain: half, or "5", or "noon.. "
    Low: 1 oclock
    mid low: 1 oclock
    mid high 10 o clock, or 9:47
    high: noon

VLE and VPF both at 9 oclock.. I don't particularly like these filters.. just me.

I used a passive Fender USA Precision most of the night, with DR Sunbeams.. I also dropped it do low-D, then switched to a Modulus FB 4.. active electronics, etc. .

Bass guitar volumes: full tilt.. tone backed off maybe 1/8" if that.. both basses.

$64,000 question.. what was my volume set@?

I never, not once, went past 11 oclock.. and when I finally pushed it to 11 oclock.. the sound guy gave me a thumbs-down.. as in "turn down.." I then backed it to 10 oclock and could not hear myself.. I then turned back to 11 o clock and gave the soundguy an apologetic look..

I had an Ampeg sound most of the night. I had a Shuttle 6.0 in a bag, behind my setup.. I carry two heads always, now..

So, I ask you guys... how can this amp weigh so little.. anyway, I tore down my stuff and there were women watching me tear it down.. I , with one hand, put the LMII into a lunch bag (an insulated lunch bag people put into fridges..), along with the power cables, etc.. the berg cabs I simply carried out one by one into the car, parking lot.. there were about 30 people standing there watching me carry the cabs, etc.. a lady said, "How in the world can that rig have blown us out of the club practically...." I then apologized, and she said it was okay, was not "that" loud.. Amazing, real life story.. I wonder what this head would do turned to 2 o clock? Put a hole in a wall via its sonic output??

My rig was not cheap.. everything, except the Genz and LM, is used.. even the basses themselves.. I had a great time.. and the crowd did also.. in a 4-piece band, the bass is integral to the sound.. with this setup.. I cannot imagine anything being necessary.. I think I could have gotten by with only the HT112..

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    good story. have the singer carry the other cab...

3. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I am lucky if my band does not break up by any night's end, but I agree..

4. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Very cool...Nice to hear.

5. Thank you for this story.

I just got a ht210s(500 watt) and a ht122s(400 watt) both 8ohm. Now I'm looking at what amp to get. I've played the LMII and dug the sound, but I was wondering if I should go for more wattage. I figured I may want to use the ht210s stand alone, so why not get an 800 to 1000 watt amp and pump as close to 500w as possible at 8ohms. But maybe I can get by, hmm I'll have to put the new LMIII on my list. Although that new Little Mark 800 Tube is looking pretty sweet. But it is Class D.

6. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Don't know if you're looking for cabinet placement advice, but tilt those puppies back so they don't aim right for the sound guy. 1) you will hear yourself better, and 2) the soundguy won't give you thumbs-down until you blow out your own eardrums.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Nice! Yeah, 500 watts or so from an amp with a switch mode power supply into two high quality 112's (or a 212) is about the most efficient rig their is regarding size/weight/footprint/volume/tone IMO and IME.

For all but my largest gigs, I use a similar rig and it is sweet!

Get a Kart-a-bag handtruck and your are totally set for the schlep!

K

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The F1 just KILLS with that stack IMO and IME. The LMII sounds great also, but that particular stack can benefit from the tighter voicing and punch of the F1. My guess is, the LMTube800 will kill also.

9. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    thank you.. I like stacking them , though.. and SAT night, I had hardly any room.. so if I tilt back.. I will have to buy stands.. then have the space to spread it out..

If I can tilt BOTH back, stacked, at the same time, without losing the head.. I kept the LMII atop the stack.. then great.

10. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I am sure it does.. I am done buying stuff, I promised, for 5 years.. no more amps, no more cabinets.. and no basses.. I will wait until the LMIV , or LMLightYear Sonic Incredible Subsonic head comes out.. it will weigh 1 oz.. and be the size a US silver dollar.. (sorry, had to.. thank you, seriously, for your post.. I read most of yours, fyi..yours and the guy who has the boxer doll avatar.. )

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I especially liked the part about the girls in the parking lot.

12. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    the lady's boyfriend, who was also @ the place, is a bass player in another local band.. so she took an interest in my bass setup.. oddly, her boyfriend did not.. he only kept asking to sit in.. and yet did not know hardly any of our songs..

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    How did you have the volume set on your bass?

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You know, this just goes to show you how ridiculous it is to have these giant rigs that do 1000w or better. At 11 o'clock with the gain at noon, you're maybe putting out 50-60w worth of volume tops. And yet it was too much to go any higher. If you want to completely obliterate everyone else in your band, or if your band is a bunch of idiots who turn their 200w guitar amps to 10, yeah, go ahead and get 1000w. But if you want to sound mixed with your band at a comfortable but plenty loud setting, you really don't need much more than what you were pushing.

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I was actually responding to the person who posted about the Berg 's' stack. I actually like the LMII better with the 'mini stack' that you have, so you are good to 'not spend':D

16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy.... you are killing me. First, as you should know by now, the volume setting of the knobs has very little to do with wattage delivered. Second, speaker SPL has a huge impact on wattage needed (i.e., some cabs take a lot more wattage to get the cones moving to develop even modest volume). Third, tone goals also impact wattage needed, with a tone that has very deep bass and lots of uncompressed top end needing lot's more headroom than a more mid present tone. And finally, it is impossible to judge others' volume needed. Depending on the mix and playing styles and the rest of the above issues, 100 watts can be louder than 1000 watts.

It all depends:smug:

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Bah...excuses, excuses :D

Actually, considering I own an LMII and used it extensively for a year, and considering I have a B-15 that tops out clean at 25w, I've got a pretty good idea how much wattage the LMII is putting out at those settings. And if it's more than 50 or 60w, I'd be very surprised.

18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Bass Gear Magazine did a pretty good test of this on the scope. The LMII puts out a very clean, very even 425 watts or so throughout its entire frequency range when the amp is cranked pretty well holding THD at a very low level (i.e., so that the amp sounds totally clean. That's quite impressive! Again, the absolute knob settings don't really give you much info, since technique and the amount of output coming from the bass can really impact the power peaks of an amp.

I agree with you in general though. Unless you have rather extreme conditions, a couple of good quality 112's and am amp in that 'moderate power range' of 400-600 watts at 4ohms should take care of MANY playing contexts:)

19. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Great to hear how the LMII worked out for you,
    just recieved my LMII LE about an hour ago,
    taking it to practice tonight w/Bag End S15-D's
    should be a blast..

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL