Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Real life X-Men!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks

2. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I wonder what complications that kid is going to end up having, seems like more of a curse than anything especially with all the research bound to be done on him. It's pretty cool for the medical reasons however, and especially if it helps to come up with a cure or effective treatment for things like muscular dystrophy (which, if you have known/know anyone with this then you'll know how devastating it is).

3. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think it opens alot of interesting arguements about evolution, too. To think that this is the only mutation like this that has been discovered in recorded history, how many others have been missed? Creationists have argued that the chances of a mutation being even remotely beneficial are astronomical - and now this. Perhaps they aren't as rare as once thought.

I can't wait for the first kid to be born with the power to snikt! or bamf!

4. i just hope my son is born with six fingers on each hand. i'll train him to be left handed, and he'll have the master combination of curveball, forkball and knuckleball.... pretty good as long as he doesn't walk the kid who can BAMF.... that guy can steal bases like ricky henderson.

5. I'm not a creationist, but I'd be willing to bet that this mutation will not be beneficial at all for the kid who has it. If our bodies have a chemical that limits muscle growth then we have it for a reason. The kid will probably have loads of medical problems. In fact, I don't think this case is really much different than the people who have hormone deficiencies and never stop growing. It might sound cool to be 8 feet tall and twice as strong as a normal person but it is really more of a burden for the person who has it and always causes a lot of other problems with the body.

I'm not sure, but I'd also doubt that this genetic trait would be passed on if this person ever had kids. Maybe if he happened to mate with a woman who was born with the exact same mutation...

Hopefully this will at least contribute to scientific knowledge and help cure disease like the article mentions.

6. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    It stated right in the article that its quite likely that he will suffer heart and other health problems in the future. Regardless of this, it is still quite interesting to see what will come of it and if any medical advances can be made from this new information. There are plenty of examples of genetic mutation causing disease but this is the first that I've heard of where it could actually be beneficial to human life.

Also, I would say that he has about as much chance of passing it onto his children as his mother did when she had him, IE: finding someone else who has this genetic trait will be unlikely.

7. Does anyone have a link to the original article?

8. For sure, because from what I gathered from the article, the gene's allele is definately reccesive, and you need 2 recessive alleles to show a trait. A dominant and recessive allele together will only show the dominant alleles trait. The chances of a recessive being with another recessive is slimmer than a dominant being with another dominant or even with a recessive. I can't think of what the chances of 2 recessive alleles that have a mutation like this coming together. Man, I'm smart, and only in 10th grade. :D

9. I'm not sure if it is recessive. The article stated that the mother's family has a history of being particularly strong. I took that to be a hint that perhaps the gene is incompletely dominant, such that neither gene is completely expressive with an intermediate phenotype is instead. Whatever the case, it is a fascinating finding.

Leigh

10. Ah, but it could be that they acquired these traits by physical labor, and is a coincedence, PSYCH. How does the saying go "Science is the only sure thing"? Something like that It probably is incompletely dominant. I forgot that things could be incompletely domininant. Darn you, 9th grade education. ;)

11. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I read this today in the paper...crazy stuff.

So how long before a kid can shoot lasers from his eyes?

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Even if it is a recessive gene, it will be passed on and expressed. Usually around one out of four babies show the recessive traits that the parents carry.

A guy I knew in the Navy was blue. I don't mean sad. I mean he was frequntly a profoundly cyanotic color. In 'normal' people his color would mean serious oxygen deprivation or serious cold. In his case it meant it was time to take his pill again. He would take a pill and turn pink for a week or three. Then he would turn blue again and need the next pill.

He was from a family in Kentucky that eventually went back to a couple who BOTH had a weird recessive gene. So ALL their kids carried the gene. And about one out of four SHOWED it. Then those kids married people on the surrounding farms. Then their kids all married each other and a couple of hundred years later about a quarter of their great-great-great-you-get-the-idea-grandkids are blue.

There have been studies done on his family. His last name was Fugate. Look up the 'Blue Fugates of Kentucky.'

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Genetic Mutation makes you a transexual?!

14. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    what are you talking about matt till?

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

X-men

X meaning former. Haha, I'm so funny...

*kicks own ass*

16. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    that was so poor :p

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    *joins in*

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Not that you'd matter, but I'm currently listening to Ween... and enjoying it.

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Listening to Ween is an asskicking in and of itself. :smug: