1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

real low end frequency of P-BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hhow09, May 5, 2018.

1. hhow09

hhow09

Oct 26, 2017
    Taiwan
    Hi there
    I'm playing a MIA standard P-BASS, Daddario Chrome flatwound
    --
    The tone is classic P and I am really satisfied with its low-mid growl and punchy.
    What I mentioned the low-mid is around 100hz-150hz. (really nice for grunge style)
    However there is not much real low end freq below 80hz (for some song of psychedelic/stoner/dub style) even with Ampeg SVT.
    I know the Fender 62 vintage Jazz Bass and Gibson EB-3/SG standard(cheaper) has full real low freq I was talking about.
    Is there any suggestion for me to get more real low end freq on my current P bass?
    In short, I want the punchy low-mid of P and boost the real low.

Any suggestion is welcome like set of strings, pickup, pedal
    btw If I really have to buy a new bass I will choose between JB62 and SG bass.
    thx a lot
    -
    reply:
    the ultra low is on and I try to boost the bass on SVT pro 7. I get more low but muddy, not tight. so as the sound engineering of livehouse said.
    He said to boost a frequency which not naturally exist only get a poopy muddy tone.

btw my current bass tone sounds like this in my opinion is somehow too muddy.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What kind if SVT and what kind of cab?

Also, how is your SVT set (knobs and buttons)?

You should be able to get thunderous low end from an SVT and a P bass if you so desire.

Pbassmanca and TN WOODMAN like this.
  3. Octave pedal, maybe? Sub-harmonix

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. The ultra-low switch on an SVT boosts low frequencies; if you don’t have that amp, an equalizer that boosts 50 hz will do the same thing.

MrLenny1 and Mili like this.
  5. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The classic sealed SVT bottoms don't have much below 80 Hz - they roll off the lowest octave.

6. hhow09

hhow09

Oct 26, 2017
    Taiwan
    the ultra low is on and I try to boost the bass on SVT pro 7. I get more low but muddy, not tight. so as the sound engineering of livehouse said.
    He said to boost a frequency which not naturally exist only get a poopy muddy tone.

btw my current bass tone sounds like this in my opinion is somehow too muddy.

7. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I doubt you're going to get more low end from a Jazz bass, let along a specific model of Jazz bass (why is it specifically a '62 Jazz?!?!). I can get a thunderous low end from my Classic 50's Precision. It has a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 pickup, strung with flats and goes through a Fender Rumble 500 with a 210 extension cab and even without the extension cab it shakes the walls.

8. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    You didn't answer two fingers' question: what kind of cabinet(s)?

As to the engineer's comments that your low frequencies sound muddy: exactly! That's why the vast majority of engineers cut below 100hz when mixing the bass: these frequencies can sound muddy.

How's your muting/dampening technique, by the way? Make sure you are stopping the unplayed strings from ringing out. Number one cause of muddy tone, in my experience.

9. hhow09

hhow09

Oct 26, 2017
    Taiwan
    The cab is ampeg 810.
    I am sure the muting technique is ok. I think my discription should change to that amp EQ can boost the low end but too muddy. not tight.
    btw I use both pick and finger. my flatwound string has high tension.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    My experience at FOH (a few decades worth) places “mud” up around 300 Hz. I know a lot of other FOH guys, and unless there’s a room mode issue, none of them cut below 100Hz on bass guitar.

If cutting everything below 100Hz made the bass sound better, there are a whole lot of tours and venues that could do away with all the subwoofers they have.

11. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    SVT cabs have a steep rolloff below 80hz.

I hope you are sending the front of house a pre-EQ signal? If you are EQ'ing for your SVT cab, and then sending that signal to the front of house, that could definitely explain why it sounds muddy from the engineer's perspective. Try using a DI between your bass and amp. Then you can EQ a good sound for yourself to hear on stage, and he can EQ a good sound for the audience to hear.

12. If you're not getting enough low end... I doubt it's the bass. A Precision is not exactly lacking.

Also... are you *sure* you want lots of sub 80Hz?
    I *cut* a lot of that stuff, and I like a fat bass.

13. If you want a tight low end, the answer is not in 80Hz and below.
    I tend to use a high pass filter (HPF) to remove the lowest of the low frequencies. The threshold frequency can be adjusted, and you'd be surprised how high it can be set to give you a fat low end with tight lows. I think mine tends to be set at a threshold of anything between 60-90Hz, and bump up the 200-300Hz a *bit* (which happens naturally if in addition to the HPF I boost the bass control in my amp)...

Low mids are your friend. If you can find a semi-parametric EQ, play around with it. Or an adjustable HPF too. They were a revelation to me.

14. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    What generally sounds thick and articulated to my ears is probably a bump around 100hz. Boosting sub low on an 8x10 fridge (which definitely can sound thick despite its modest low end response) mostly ruins it IME. Chest thumping is more around those 100hz. Make sure the room you usually play in is not playing tricks on you. Resonances and cancellations might occur, screwing up your low end. Besides the obvious EQ fiddling I'd suggest you move your cab around to check.

BassChuck, dbsfgyd1, ihixulu and 3 others like this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think this may be it. The "fridge" (Ampeg 810) isn't designed to do sub lows. And if you are setting the EQ on your amp to try to get sub lows out of that cab you are likely sending the front of house PA a pretty muddy signal using the line out fron the SVT 7.

Sell the 810 and get yourself an Ampeg 410 HLF. That sucker throws the lows. You can then EQ your amp a little brighter for the PA.

As a sound guy too, I can tell you, the lows are always there. You send me something a little bright and I will make you sound amazing out front.

16. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Have you had a good setup done on the bass? I wonder if it could be a pickup height issue. A P-bass should be putting out plenty of low frequency sound.

saabfender likes this.
  17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

the ultra low switch does two things. It puts a 2dB boost at 40Hz, and a -10dB cut at 500Hz. It’s more a scoop switch in some ways.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Haroldo and andruca like this.
  18. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    This all feels like wanting something you shouldn’t have. It reminds me of guitarists who don’t understand a very distorted sound, that sounds great soloed, is useless garbage in a mix.

You don’t need more sub-bass than the fridge can supply. Honest.

19. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i used a rat tail pedal with a clean blend and long in the tooth dunlop nickels with my LB100 for stoner rock, post punk, goth industrial, and etc with markbass, gk, and behringer heads at the practice space
    been using ti flats as of late, but they're starting to settle down now and i kind of miss some of the highs they used to have, but the mesa d180 sounds pretty brutal overdriven with them, so i'm gonna wait and see

20. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Your amp won't produce anything that low. And IMO you don't need it live. I'd not associate the term "muddy" with anything below 100Hz.