Real Music Man Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, May 7, 2019.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    EF7D10BB-0274-4998-9503-77A25BB97C6D.jpeg This for sale in my area, asking $600. Decal looks a bit off along with a few other things perhaps?

Attached Files:

Jonithen likes this.
  2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Hardware looks right, but there is something off about the body and neck. Headstock shape is definitely wrong. Hard to tell what's up.

3. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Just checked it out, slight gap at the back heel and body under PG but pocket was tight on the sides of neck. Body felt smaller but I’m know expert on MM basses. Neck felt old but ok. Decal was buried slightly under tuner ?.. not feeling right but still has me interested

Body was a metallic red also.

4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    What year is he claiming it to be?

5. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    They know nothing about it

6. No „Made in SanLuisObispo“ at the back of the neck. Pre-EB logo. Fingerboard-dots too small.
    Strange...

7. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    pre eb stingray.jpg

Kind of what I thought, that should have the truss rod adjustment at the headstock.

8. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Yeah thought as old as the neck felt and looked should have had the bullet truss adjustment at the headstock? Body seems newer then the neck too. I thought some older MM had no decals on back of headstock?

9. MusicMans have/had always bigger dots.
    Like that:

41E0489F-2BC5-4A07-AA6D-2E8FEB4ED41B.jpeg

10. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

String tree for A/D is parallel with the E string peg head on my Stringray. That one is in a weird place.

New decal on a SUB?

I'd go $200 if it plays ok

Tommy V, jd56hawk and obimark like this.
  11. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Definitely something up? But really interested in knowing what or where it came from, maybe an old SUB ?

12. It has all USA EB hardware, but odd neck...possible SUB neck?

SUB headstock/string retainer:
    [​IMG]

EBMM headstock/string retainer:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    RyanOh likes this.
  13. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Did the SUB come with a maple fret board? And when was the first year for SUBs? I mean this neck felt and looked 30 years old at least

14. Yes, they had maple fretboards (see my edited post with photos).
    The string retainer is in the SUB’s location, sort of between the E and D, where the EB retainer is right next to the E.
    It would be easier to find an old Music Man reproduction waterslide decal than an EB decal...

wyleeboxer and RyanOh like this.
  15. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I think there is someone in the Los Angeles/Orange County area doing large quantities of “counterfeit “ basses on CL. I bought a Fender off CL recently that someone had done fantastic refinishing work with the decals (no decal edges) fret filing, the neck feels awesome. I new it wasn’t genuine but turned out to be a Squier Standard, so I then used the neck with high-end parts and an Allparts body. Paid to much originally on CL for the bass but I couldn’t be happier with the end result.
    In this case of the MM I believe it’s possibly that the same person is doing relic work too that is pretty close to my RW Fenders attention to detail, seems almost like a small shop is kicking these counterfeits out lately on CL?

548CD90A-C9D6-4304-96AD-87BBECCAB3C4.jpeg
    08B12777-5A28-4AD2-8178-441351475344.jpeg

jd56hawk likes this.
  16. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Best case scenario? It’s a replacement neck and everything else is legit.

Worst case?? It’s all fake.

Either way, don’t expect to be buying an EBMM SR4.

mouthmw and jd56hawk like this.
  17. InhumanResource

InhumanResource Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    Pre EB should be 3 bolt too, no?

MikeInSF likes this.
  18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Interested at $600?

19. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    More like interested in what exactly it is and then negotiate from there, but no longer interested ;)

I think that people getting good at the whole make it “relic” is becoming a little bit of a problem for buying vintage gear?

MattZilla and jd56hawk like this.
  20. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    The bridge was downsized in 98 I’m pretty sure... so body is late 90s at the oldest... I’m on the ‘neck is curious’ camp as well. Definitely not a neck that would match that headstock decal or it would have a bullet truss rod nut and a skunk strip. Body looks legit as far as I can tell from the pics because the bridge is usually what’s way off on copies.

I think for $600 you’d be paying an alright price for a Stingray body and tuners with a free who knows what neck... (well, I’m thinking in Canadian dollars... $600 usd is probably quite high)

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022