Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Real near mint 62 Jazz- Auction Over

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Jul 9, 2004.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    That is AMAZING condition for such an old bass! I wonder how much it's been played over the years?

2. It looks like some neck wear on the back, but notice the felt pads are still white(ish)! The lacquer on the headstock doesn't even seem to have ambered either. No checking in the finish, no rust on any parts.

Too good to be true?

3. Hmm, and nitrocellulose laquer tends to crack over time (hairline cracks, barely noticeable). I'd say it looks a little too good, but if it is original, what a great condition it's in.

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I dont believe its original. Its in better condition then my 6 month old mia jazz. Even one that was bought and put directly into a case for over 40 years would look older. Perfectly clean neck with little fret wear... is it just me or does the wood in the neck heel look a little lighter then the rest of the neck? Possibly from sanding?

5. Anyone have any idea when laminated fingerboards replaced slab? I thought it was later than '62.

Although it's really hard to distinguish things, that board looks like milk chocolate instead of the dark chocolate Brazillian rosewood like on my 65...

6. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Am I mistaken, or is that a thumb rest on the bass. And if it is, then its on the wrong side!
    Can someone fill me in, because I must be missing something.

7. Thumb rest didn't move to the bass side until the 70's.

8. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    What good were they then? I can not see how it was used.

P.S. Golden Boy, played at The Rave last night for the Kittie show. Got a thread about it in the Gig section.

9. Back then, you played with your thumb and rested your inex and middle finger on the "thumb" rest.

10. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Oh, got it. I had no idea. I guess I better study up on my bass history.

11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Vegaas,

From 1951 to 1973 Fender put the 'finger rest' on the bottom side. Why you say?
    Look at the pictures of old basses with their chrome covers installed. When Leo Fender invented the bass he thought you were suppose to play it with your thumb....
    His idea was, you rest you palm on the chrome cover, rest you fingers on the 'finger rest', and you pluck the bass with your thumb.

12. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    You mean you guys don't play your bass using only your thumb? That's crrrraaaazaaay!

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I do not belive this is original.
    Everything look to new, wrong finish color, to light.
    No checking or oxidiation of bridge and tuners.
    I've seen some Japanese copys that are this good.
    Plus asking price way to high.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's why you're on TalkBass. :)

It could be real. If it is, WOW!!!!!

If not, :crying:

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, at least the guy has clothes on in the reflection on the bridge cover. I have seen a lot where people take their pics nude, and you can se it in a reflection. I give him a thumbs up for that!

Something has been done to this bass. Whether he knows it or not. The pickguard around the neck pickup is not quite right.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Real tort pickguard do weird thinsg as tthey age, they shrink & on ocassions, I've seen them disintergrate.

It looks likr this was the 1st time since 62 that the cover has been removed.

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don't know, that grain is just not quite right to me. The body doesn't look original, though. Could be a spectacular refin.

18. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    so, what experience are you basing your opinions on?

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The fact that due to temperature variations throughout the years, nitrocellulose laquer finishes get hairline cracks. I worked in the music buisness for a while, so I had quite a bit of experience with vintage gear. I also did much guitar repair and customization as well. I do know what a vintage finish looks like. You SHOULD be able to see the lines breaking up the reflections in the finish.

This bass could have been in an environment that had very few temerature varations, but it is highly unlikely. If it is original, it would be a very good bass to own.