1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Real or Knock off Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joe234sims, Aug 21, 2012.

1. joe234sims

joe234sims

Aug 21, 2012
    Okay so I am new to bass and there is a guy selling what is supposed to be a Peavey Cirrus 5 for $200. I'm unsure if it is legit though because the bridge is different from other Cirrus' I've seen, and for some reason it has only 4 tone knobs, and it doesnt even look like one broke or anything. Here is a picture of said bass.

[​IMG]

Any help/info is greatly appreciated!

2. Isn't that a BXP or something? Not bad, maybe worth 2 bills.

3. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    I think its a BXP or something like that

*Edit* ^ You beat me to it.

4. joe234sims

joe234sims

Aug 21, 2012
    He didnt list it as a BXP but it probably is. Like I said, I'm a total bass noob :p. But yeah he's asking $200 for it. Gonna go take a look at it tomorrow.

5. FunkyMcNasty

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
  6. *GRIND* BXP- that's it.

7. joe234sims

joe234sims

Aug 21, 2012
    Thank you!! I greatly appreciate it

8. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Yep, that's a Grind, not a Cirrus. Very good basses btw.

9. FunkyMcNasty

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    Just throwing this out there; I played one of those less expensive peavey basses about a year ago, and was very surprised by the quality, playability, and sound. I am not sure if it was this exact model, but it was under $500 new at a music shop. If that's the style your looking for, it may be worth checking out, and $200 does not sound bad to me. Good luck.

10. $200 is a very good price for it. The early 2000's model Grinds are quite nice, with Brazilian Walnut wings and that nifty scoop out of the lower horn. The one in your photo has had the bridge replaced. The original bridge was a knockoff of Hipshot's finger bridge (single string).

11. joe234sims

joe234sims

Aug 21, 2012
    Can anyone suggest what brand of strings would be best to purchase for the Peavey Grind 5 BXP?

12. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    That really depends on what characteristics you like in strings. Is there any reason that you can think of that your current favorite strings wouldn't work on it? If not, I'd probably just go with what you know you like already.

13. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Actually, when these first came out they had that style bridge on them, later to be changed to the hipshot style. I had one exactly like this and it was really a nice bass. Is it worth $200? You bet.

14. joe234sims

joe234sims

Aug 21, 2012
    I've only played bass for about a month so I don't really know what to look for in strings haha

15. As already stated, it's a Grind and worth $200. I had one and it's the only bass I regret selling.

The four tone knobs isn't so unusual. I bought mine used and the soldering looked original but the tone pots were in the volume locations and soldered that way. After a quick fix, it was a one-trick pony, but it was a darn good trick.

The older ones were made out of Imbuya (sp), an endangered species usually reserved for furniture. New ones are mahogany I believe. I think the bass in question is of the endangered variety because of the figuring. The older ones also had the scoop under the G, new ones not.

I was going to put some EMGs in mine, but sold it instead.:bawl: